PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Country Squire Banner

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Country Squire Banner

crazyhog

May 18, 2015
Hi,
I live very close to the Long Island Sound in NY. That's where I usually light up. Lately, the winds have picked up and I'm having trouble lighting up with either my bic or zippo. Is there a stronger soft flame lighter out there?
Thanks

hawky454

Preferred Member
Feb 11, 2016
Zippo or Bic are the best wind resistant pipe lighters that I’ve come across. You really don’t want a stronger flame than those or you’ll risk burning out your pipe. It’s been hella windy here lately and the Zippo gets the job done. I’m guessing you can’t smoke indoors?

warren

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2013
Can't think of any alternative to a Zippo in the wind. I find no difference between the standard chimney or the pipe chimney. I prefer the standard.

crazyhog

May 18, 2015
What kind of shape is your Zippo's wick in
Ahhh! Not too good. I will order some new ones. That should do it I hope. Thanks Anthony
Oh and I'm using the horizontal flame chimney for pipes.

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member
Jan 8, 2013
Ahhh! Not too good. I will order some new ones. That should do it I hope. Thanks Anthony
Oh and I'm using the horizontal flame chimney for pipes.
They have a pretty long wick. Unless you've already done so, you should be able to pull it up a little bit, about the same length as what's already visible, and trim the old part off with some wire cutters. If you're using the regular (non pipe chimney), some people have good results pulling the wick just a tad above the chimney. In either case, trim off the old part. You're welcome :puffy:

hawky454

Preferred Member
Feb 11, 2016
Great suggestion, Anthony! I’ve been meaning to do that on one of mine actually. Thanks for the reminder.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Zippo (pipe type) is my everyday lighter. For travelling I use my Brebbia gas pipe lighter. Both are excellent quality and does the job very well.

piperusak

Oct 17, 2018
i use turbo lighter. three flames simultaneously. lights a pipe instantly. and the wind is not a hindrance

cigrmaster

Preferred Member
May 26, 2012
United States
Take your jacket and put it over your head and create a wind free zone. You can use any light or matches as wind is not an issue.

blendtobac

Preferred Member
Oct 16, 2009
Just a cautionary note - if you use a torch-flame lighter, you may/will void any warranty that the manufacturer supplies. There are ways to determine if a burnout is caused by a torch and no replacements can be made.
Russ

jrbjr

Mar 6, 2019
Have you thought about the Douglas Field Lighter? I have good luck in windy conditions, though I do not live by the water.

oldmancrow

Jun 11, 2019
There are more expensive options but most lighters kinda come and go. (Calibri). I use a zippo with a butane insert. I also have a few old vintage shop finds. I have an old kingstar I gave Six bucks for. It’s a soft flame, but it’ll make its own wind if you turn it up. It’s perfect for your scenario.