PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Herself had a phone interview today that she was very nervous about, so I thought I'd go to my "away from home & outdoors" favourite haunt, The Mad Rocks, an area of ocean shore ~ 5 minutes away from my house. Note on the picture below you will see the date on the tin, wonderful smoke.
OV6m677.jpg

Here's a video done with numerous pictures along the walk, known as the Bay Roberts Shoreline Heritage Trail.
Click here for video.
So what is your favourite place to smoke & stroll, outdoors and away from home?

nutcracker

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2015
I actually haven't been on a stroll with my pipe. I am usually at a watering hole that is central for 2 of my friends and myself. It is on a lake and is nice to break away with my pipe, friends and a scotch.
The spot you have there would be very difficult to match or one up. Very nice!

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
When I want to stroll rather than sit, I venture over to this park that's just a few minutes' walk from my house. My neighborhood, Logan Square, is a mixture of hipsters, Latino families, and a bunch of other interesting folks, so there are always lots of characters around.
5023667819_a536b0a6ed_b.jpg

8124074687_c64912aa6d_b.jpg

My apartment is in this photo... but I'm not telling you which one it is. :nana:
6925026817_d8b13172aa_o.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wow! That's gorgeous! And, if Apple Maps did me right, you're in Newfoundland, way East, almost in Ireland! ( :) )

Must be pretty brisk there, or do you get good effect from the Gulfstream?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
There's a spot on the Appalachian Trail near my home called cat rock. I like to hike up there and smoke a pipe when I get there.
0160.jpg

Or sometimes I'll go to a place called the stone church.
B9316239252Z.1_20150213180830_000_GSM9UPNI6.1-0.jpg

12062510424_4b41f7349c_b.jpg

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I was going to mention the "lower 40" behind the house but, that is beginning to seem a bit claustrophobic.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I'm so envious of all the beautiful locations! Here, in my city, we have a strict no public smoking ordinance; if you so much as pull tobacco paraphernalia out of your pocket ― even at a public park ― they'll slap you with a $100 fine . ... and, yet, we have fairly lax open container laws. Huh, sometimes the world is a goofy place.
So, I'm confined mostly to my yard and home.
Looks like I need to save my pennies and drag the family across the U.S.; try and enjoy what the country has to offer, before I can't drag myself anywhere anymore.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
My apartment is in this photo... but I'm not telling you which one it is
Ahhhh c'mon Michael, I'll bring some good Cubans when I visit (cigars, not Latino girls!!! :lol:) Kidding aside, lovely spot. You ever get hassled like Jeffrey said he will if he breaks out the gear?
JPM, yes, dead on. Weather is tempered by the junction of the warm Gulfstream and the cold Labrador current. I've seen winters with hardly any snow and July past the average daily high was like 15 deg C or 60 F, not normal but still miserable damp and cold.
Fitzy, lovely area. Did you take the picture of the falls? Stunning.
Jeffrey, don't know where you are but I'd guess many times I wish I was at a place where I had a B&M close by, which you probably have so I guess it's a tradeoff of sorts.
EDIT:
JPM - Yes close to Ireland. Flight takes 4:15 to Dublin Vs ~ 3-12 to Toronto, and Ireland is normally a hell of a lot cheaper too.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I hate you guys for smoking in those beautiful spots. I was smoking in my man cave until a new member joined the family. I cannot smoke indoors right now, so I am looking for some coffee shop where I can smoke at least once a week. Did I tell that I hate you? :)

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
lago-espejo-grande_zpsbd4xp7bu.jpg

Lago Espejo Grande in Southern Argentina. A stroll, a smoke and a few casts.
All I need.

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I'm in a similar situation as Jeffrey. To my knowledge, smoking in public parks and beaches is punishable by up to a $500 fine. Although they say that it's loosely enforced, and it's meant to target cigarette smokers who throw their butts on the ground, it's not worth the risk.
I like to stroll around a suburb called Oak Park. It's a very nice looking, clean and historically preserved town. The only downside is that I might get disapproving looks from passers-by. Oak Park residents are the kind who think you're a monster for owning a car other than a Prius, so you can get a sense of how they feel about smokers.
Here's one of the streets I like to walk while smoking. It looks much nicer in the fall.

2hyyrh2.jpg

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Newfie do you own a newfie?
Nah I didn't take those pictures myself.
Michael they allow you to smoke in public parks over there? Luckily I don't live in NYC but they don't allow that here where I work.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
One of the great advantages of residing in Istanbul is it has many places that I've contemplated smoking a pipe in/around. So far the only location that I did smoke a pipe was the "Moda" District.
2007-08-06-012.jpg

A nice place to stroll around, especially in spring.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Newfie do you own a newfie?
No. I love dogs (we own 2 Greyhounds) and a Newf is one of the most beautiful and gentle of breeds, but a cousin has one and there's always snot, drool and piss everywhere.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Ahhhh c'mon Michael, I'll bring some good Cubans when I visit (cigars, not Latino girls!!! :lol:) Kidding aside, lovely spot. You ever get hassled like Jeffrey said he will if he breaks out the gear?

Thank you, sir! Haha. And no, I don't. Or at least I haven't been.

Michael they allow you to smoke in public parks over there? Luckily I don't live in NYC but they don't allow that here where I work.

They do! You can't smoke within 15 feet of an entrance to a public building, but besides that you can smoke outdoors in Chicago.

I like to stroll around a suburb called Oak Park. It's a very nice looking, clean and historically preserved town.

Hello to a fellow Chicagoan!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Beautiful pics and great places to enjoy a pipe.
Living in a small town we are surrounded with beautiful scenics on our east at the foot of the Osage Hills. The Arkansas River meanders through about half the town now that many folks have built out east since Kaw Reservoir came into existence. But alas no ocean walks :cry:
" if you so much as pull tobacco paraphernalia out of your pocket ― even at a public park ― they'll slap you with a $100 fine . ... and, yet, we have fairly lax open container laws. "
Jeffrey, no kidding! It may be time to relocate. That many folks with such an attitude just does not bode well.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
@fyfol, damn I miss Istanbul a lot. You are totally right, thousands of spots in Istanbul to smoke a pipe. My favorite ones are; teahouses on the hill in Gulhane, Pierre Loti hill and Chukurcuma for a night smoke with some Turkish tea.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Some very nice places for sure... Need to get back out on some hikes, it seems to be an eternity since Ive been out for a nice hike, been super busy and usually get home late and weekends are filled with chores and errands... sad part Mt. Baldy is right in my back yard, a 5 minute drive and I'm driving up the mountain.
Going to really get out this weekend for a nice hike. :puffy:

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
@fyfol, damn I miss Istanbul a lot. You are totally right, thousands of spots in Istanbul to smoke a pipe. My favorite ones are; teahouses on the hill in Gulhane, Pierre Loti hill and Chukurcuma for a night smoke with some Turkish tea.
I never got around to visit any of the places you mentioned :mrgreen: I guess the daily dose of chaos gets in the way of enjoying the sights Istanbul has to offer, a shame really. Btw would love to share a smoke if you're here again.

Status
Not open for further replies.