PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
Right, so today, tonight and tomorrow, I will be attempting to convert a friend to pipe smoking. I will be attempting this with him never even having touched a cigarette before, let alone touched or smelt pipe smoke before. I got given some cherry cavendish from borkum riff he insists may be to his taste, but I know it wont do at all for more than just teaching him the basics without wasting a blend I enjoy heavily. After that I'll pop him some early morning pipe.Either way he can have the borkum riff and a corn cob. Any advice would be welcomed. Wish me luck gentlemen. For my next trick I'll pull a woman out of a hat.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Have some bread and butter ready for Your friend for when His belly gets feeling upset, that seems to work for some.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Keep a pot of tea, a carafe of coffee, or a jug of lemonaid handy - if his first time is anything like mine, tongue bite (or, more properly, burn) will rear its ugly head. And, to keep with Lawrence's wonderful suggestion, "Irish" them up some.

I would also send him off with a list of preferred websites; when my cousin was visiting from Japan, I got him onboard here (and a few other sites), but also sent him off with URL's to the better etailers, pipedia, etc., allowing him to explore the hobby on his own, when I wasn't around to constantly stuff new tobaccos in his bowl.
For me, EMP was a blend that I hated when I first cracked the tin; it took me a good half-dozen bowls before I could really appreciate the depth of flavours, and get away from the whole "sweaty horse" flavour. With your friend being a non-smoker, the nicotine level in EMP could be the kicker driving him away (I discovered EMP as the solution to getting a handle on a pack-and-a-half-a-day habit). I might be inclined to offer him up something a little milder and more subtle, perhaps along the lines of Balkan Sasieni.

Status
Not open for further replies.