A Question Regarding Positioning of Pipe in Hand...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rationalsoul

Lurker
Apr 9, 2018
Good day pipers, my thoughts today are concerning moisture prevention. There are definitely many reasons this can happen yet have we pondered at the thought of the way we are holding our pipes? Is it possible that tilting the pipe based on its design one way or the other could offset its usage and cause an excesses of moisture buildup? Is gravity working against us? Can we use the force to stop it?!? This Pipe Padawan is concerned!!
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Ha ha, just drill a little hole in the stem and accurately place a bubble level to see if you ever tip the pipe. Ha ha.

I have noticed on pipes that have a reservoir for the condensation, like a system pipe, Peterson or Savinelli, is that if you tip the pipe, the liquids can fill the bowl.

For some reason part of my post didn't post.
But, a trick that a fellow forum member taught me was when you start to gurg a bit, just put your thumb over the bowl, and fling the pipe downwards with your arm with a final flick at the wrist, like a whip, and it will sling any condensation out of the pipe. Just don't do this on your wife's carpet, because it doesn't end well, ha ha.

rationalsoul

Lurker
Apr 9, 2018
I am familiar with the whip method, works decently! I do not like baccy juice on my pants though (which unfortunately happens). I would say I have noticed on my bents that if I tilt upwards on a cold day outside vs tilting down it seems to create even more moisture than normal. However, zoning out halfway through a bowl I'm lucky to even remember to tamp it let alone notice if I'm tilting it awkwardly.

You need a gyro-pipe, to always keep it on level. You can hold the stem as a handle, or just set it on a table for clenching.

gyropipe.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I love to drill, and that love has helped me to no end with pesky problems such as this. Unwanted moisture fouling the smoke? Easy Peasy. . .drill a hole through the bottom of the

pipe to let it out.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Frankly, if you're having to do this with any regularity, try drying your tobacco significantly more before loading. Moist tobacco is the biggest cause of gurgling, followed by smoking too fast/hard. Yes, packing and tamping are not unimportant, but are tertiary.

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I have done the hand flip for many years, it works very well. Special attention to hold the pipe tight.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Keeping it level costs, when I had a bucket installed on my big jJohn Deere I paid 1500$ more for a always level bucket. As you're working the bucket it always stays level and don't dump your load before you want. And yes slinging is acceptable unless you sling it in my Catahoulas face like I mistakenly did one time, he stayed pissed at me for a long time. :puffy:

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
My apologies but I do not fully understand this whip method. Is the excess moisture supposed to fly out of the stem? Or does it find its way through the ashes out of the bowl? Thanks a lot!

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
For some reason part of my post didn't post.
But, a trick that a fellow forum member taught me was when you start to gurg a bit, just put your thumb over the bowl, and fling the pipe downwards with your arm with a final flick at the wrist, like a whip, and it will sling any condensation out of the pipe. Just don't do this on your wife's carpet, because it doesn't end well, ha ha.
Then some orange-ish liquid splattered around...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.