A Prince that Works for Me

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
The prince shape has its admirers and detractors. If you like the features of a relatively light weight pipe with a wide chamber for complex blends, but you don't like the rap prince shape gets for being too delicate looking, you might take a look at the Rossi Vittoria prince, which is rusticated black, no filter. The first Rossi pipes I saw at a pipe show seemed to have a rather rough finish with a less than snappy stamp, but that has been resolved if my current purchase is an example. No band, no embellishments, just a nice vulcanite stem bringing the pipe in at over six inches. If you have mixed feelings about the prince shape, you might take a look at this one. I bought the last one pictured at smokingpipes.com, but I see they have re-supplied.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/rossi/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=195586

jkrug

Preferred Member
Jan 23, 2015
That's a great looking pipe...not flashy but handsome for sure. The price is pretty hard to beat as well. Let us know how she smokes. :puffy:

stanlaurel

Preferred Member
Jan 31, 2015
That one looks nice. A little more rugged and thicker in the stem than a Savinelli 313. Also about 10grams heavier.

papipeguy

Preferred Member
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a Sav prince that I like a lot. I don't view the shape as too "delicate" at all. In fact, I think it evokes a lot of class.

Enjoy yours with confidence.

Mar 16, 2014
That's a neat take on the prince. I like it because the briar to stem ratio is more in lines with a billiard. The prince is a shape to me that depends on that long gradual subtle and slow bent stem; whether I like it or not. The Rossi interpretation is really cool though. Thanks for sharing.

delkhouri

May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I like a prince. Generally they are long, light, and have a nice bowl size for the size of the pipe. Good useful shape.
I won't say its underrated as it has plenty of admirers but maybe a bit underrated in the artisan pipe community. I don't see too many artisan princes.

phred

Preferred Member
Dec 11, 2012
I have a Rossi Vittoria 8320 - the Author, rather than the Prince, and it's a good pipe. It's my first rusticated pipe, and I'm finding I rather like the texture. The Prince shape also appeals to me, although not quite as much as the Author - but perhaps a close second. :D

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
...foggymountain has an impressive array of Dunhill princes, has posted a picture of them in the past ...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
Yep, Foggy's Prince collection is impressive. One Prince in my cabinet, a Chris Askwith that I adore. I've sold a few over the years (GBD & Comoys), I'm now regretting that.
$76 for a nicely finished pipe with a vulcanite stem seems like a steal, good grab! I looked at some Rossi's at the New Orleans show, a very nice pipe and outstanding price points.

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
...derfargin, congrats on the new Rossi prince, and I predict you'll really take to the pipe when you get it going. I didn't notice any particular break-in on mine, and it has a good ample bowl and a smooth quite open draw. I have too many pipes, but this one keeps tugging my sleeve.