A Part Of Islay That Will Be Forever America.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
A tale of sadness and heroism that makes for touching reading....
The Tuscania disaster represented the biggest single loss of US military lives since the American civil war.......read on....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43948079
Regards,
Jay.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
What a great story! For a small community to pull together like they did is a remarkable tale of caring and heroism. Thanks for sharing this.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Another nugget of information to add to my increasing knowledge of the forgotten war. During my American education years this aspect of history was glossed over. Emphasis was placed on the Revolution, Civil and Vietnam. The latter because history teachers were either ex draftees or pacifists so I was taught different views.
Thanks for the share!

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
It is an appropriate place for a toast to absent friends.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Yes chaps, it shows to me at least that despite all that was going on at the time and the hardships endured particularly by the Islay folks that they still were able to administer to their brothers from across the ocean.
Such stories must never be forgotten else we do everyone a disfavour.
Regards,
Jay.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Wonderful story but it was surpassed as the biggest single loss of military lives later. https://www.history.com/news/after-72-years-wreckage-of-u-s-navys-biggest-tragedy-is-found
879 men perished from the sinking. 300 died immediately, the other 579 died before rescue ships arrived.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
Wonderful read! I am a huge fan of Islay peated scotch so it is very interesting to hear of other historical facts surrounding this little island!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
What a beautiful story, Jay.
Truth be told, most Yanks have no appreciation much less knowledge of the Great War. As a nation the US avoided it for so long and then finally participated as the war was winding down. The UK, on the other hand, almost lost an entire generation of male lives with Canada, Australia and New Zealand sustaining terrific losses as well.
I'm grateful to the long gone residents of Islay who acted with so much dignity and respect for the American dead. At the same time, I'm curious as to why the family of Pvt. Roy Muncaster decided to leave his remains in Islay and that's a question we'll never have answered.
Thank you for sharing this article with us.
Fnord

Proud grandson of two WWI veterans

Status
Not open for further replies.