PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Well, I have been off my pipes for about a month now, during which I have been exploring cigars. I have since returned to my briars two days ago to find I could not enjoy a pipe. I have concluded that the ph difference in cigars plus the overpowering musty flavor has corrupted my senses. Two days ago, I picked up a pipe and started puffing away on some Captain Black royal. Immediately, I was gagging up my breakfast. It tasted of plastic and the smoke was thick unlike anything I'd ever smoke. I stuck with it for two more days, using PA regular as a mild re-introduction smoke, and am now seeing an improvement in my senses. The smoke tastes sweeter and smoother now. I honestly believe that smoking those pungent little rolls of floor sweepings actually changed the my tastes in tobacco, and that at least for me, pipes and cigars are not compatible. Has this happened to anyone else or am I just special?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nope, never such a problem. I've never gotten plastic or unpleasantly thick smoke. I like a good cigar well, but I find the smoking experience pretty programed. Cigars are engineered by the cigar maker to deliver a certain experience, which they do effectively, but as a regular thing I find it predictable and not too exciting. A really good cigar is kind of a nice departure now and then, but doesn't rival a pipe for me. It's basically no contest.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
It makes one wonder what "predominately tobacco ingredients with non-tobacco ingredients added" means. I was under the impression that cigars, even the cheap kind with homogenized wrappers, were 100% tobacco. I do really like the Garcia Y Vega English Coronas. They're like a good steak.

haddoken

Lurker
Sep 8, 2015
I wonder if it's PG. I taste that in certain blends, mostly aromatics. it has an artificial aftertaste.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
Not here - I enjoy cigars as well and one doesn't interfere with the other. Were those tobaccos your usual, or did you decide to go OTC as a reintroduction?

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
That's really interesting. I definitely enjoy a good cigar here and there, but never noticed it change my taste for pipe tobacco.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Cigars smell awful to me, and I don't think I'll ever smoke one. Guess that means that pipes and cigars aren't compatible for me at least.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
@ rfernand
Captain Black Royal and Sir Walter Raleigh are my everyday smokes as the only "tobacco shop" within a hundred miles of me is a sleazy cigarette store where the folks you see on Cops congregate. I usually don't smoke anything extravagant very often as EMS is one of the worst paying fields in the country. I do enjoy some tin tobaccos from time to time, but the OTC blends are my meat and potatoes.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Coming from strong cigars to pipes some 8 years ago I always had to wait 3 days after a cigar to taste my pipe again. It sucked. Now it isn't a problem, but it took awhile to get there. Who knows?! I was puffing non-aro's though.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
What cigars were you smoking? (I can imagine coming from a steady diet of Punch Signature your palate may be a bit off) - just curious.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
@ rfernand
My cigars were Muriel coronellas, Garcia Y Vega english coronas, phillies titans, and rg santiago churchills. I liked them all for the most part, phillies bieng the my least favorite and garcia y vegas being the best.

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
I would suggest you try something more 'plain tobacco' than Captain Black Royal. Solani Silver Flake maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.