PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Hello all! :D
I've been fascinated by pipe smoking for several months now,and recently ordered my first pipe which is due to arrive any day now. But i have a problem. I live at home with VERY anti-smoking parents; my mum especially is opposed to all kinds & once commented on how much she hates pipes when she saw a chap smoking one on a T.V. show.
Hiding it would be nearly impossible and isn't really something i'd want to do anyway, my thinking is that if i'm mature enough to make this decision then i should be upfront about it and take it on the chin. . .That's easier said than done however, as i'm incredibly anxious & nervous about telling them mainly due to the inevitable disappointment they'll express. Any advice would be appreciated!
Also, i'm eighteen years old so legally an adult here so that isn't an issue. I also have never smoked anything else before except for one cigarette, which they don't know about.
Thanks for reading and happy smoking! :puffy:

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
i should be upfront about it and take it on the chin.
Keep that attitude, alot of peoples problems can be resolves better I they would just "man-up" and face it head on. Good for you at a young age to wana take responsibility for your actions
Your mother will love you no matter what, she may be disappointed at first, believe me she will respect you for being up front about it, it may take time though

petertomkins

Lurker
Jul 28, 2016
I'd take it on the chin there bud! I remember telling my parents I was a smoker. It took a while for them to swing around, but honesty is always the best policy. It's not as if it makes you a different person!

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
Yes my friend, you are old enough, it will bother them for a bit and also do they smoke a lot of pipes where you live, i live in Texas and my dad used to smoke a pipe along time ago, he caught me one day smoking from a pipe when i was younger and he was more intrigued than disappointed, in the city i live there are not a lot of pipe smokers, or i have not seen them and it is rare seeing a young man smoking a pipe.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
For heaven's sake LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER! Starting smoking, even if it's "only" pipe smoking, is a very, very bad idea. I say this as a former cigarette and current pipe smoker. Any other advice I could give a young non-smoker would be a heavy burden on my conscience.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This forum is the wrong place to seek an objective and well-reasoned opinion. For obvious reasons, most of the people here will favor what can be variously described as a hobby, pastime, gourmet indulgence, or habituation. I would suggest waiting until you are truly independent of your parents' control and influence.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Well, I had the same situation.. and I held my grounds against my mum, and it passed.. I just simply smoke in my room now..

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
What Cortez said is true. If you've made up your mind about the issue I will share with you everything I know to make pipe smoking the most pleasurable experience for you. Until then my advice remains what I stated above.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
There are two women who you have to go through, your mom, she might be accepting and your girlfriend and if one day you get married there is the wife.

May 4, 2015
I'm surprised how often this question gets asked. I'm glad it does, because it's an interesting discussion, but its frequency fascinates me.
It raises some pretty interesting cultural differences, actually, as there are many places outside the US where living at home well in to one's 20's is the norm. Or even NEVER moving out and inheriting the homestead after a family member's passing.
EDIT: I'll also add that my strategy, apparently, was to find MANY different ways to disappoint my parents so that by the time the smoking happened, it didn't seem like that big a deal.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
There are two women who you have to go through, your mom, she might be accepting and your girlfriend and if one day you get married there is the wife.
If the wife and girlfriend are accepting of each other, the pipe probably won't be a dealbreaker.

• Haha
Reactions: UncleRasta

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Living with your folks, you need to work with them on something like this. Especially with a beginner, pipe smoking is a fire hazard. Is their objection moral or about health? If they say don't smoke in their house, you have to respect that. You can still smoke away from home, if you can find a place to do that, but it is probably right to let your folks know that you do. Don't try to hinge your own emerging adulthood on this one aspect. They will have to adjust and let go in many ways in the next few years, including when you are able to move out. Remember, these will always be your parents, and you don't want to become estranged, emotionally or otherwise. It's all about working things out, and that is an important part of growing up.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Good think you're considern a pipe and not cigarettes as I did at the age of 13- happily both my parents and brothers did smoke those days so then restrictions from their part were fewer,althogheter they did protest some. Still everbody's protesting should I smoke indoors,

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I think MSO really hit the nail on the head with his response.
However my advice would be to not start smoking at all...pipe, cigs, cigars nothing! But as an adult you will make your own choices though do be aware that there are consequences to be had in all decisions that you choose to make.
Regards,
Jay.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
So - my Dad said to me at your age...

Smoking is such an inefficient way to use tobacco. If I could take that tobacco and purify it (a chemist) and inject all of its chemicals into you in a single shot it would kill you. So smoking it may not be all that bad, just because it's so inefficient I mean. All the poison's still in there of course. But you make your own decisions.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
MSO is spot on. You're an adult, but it's their house and their rules. Same as if you were to rent somewhere else with a no smoking policy, or stay at a hotel with the same. If you're headed to Uni, good on you. If you're headed to the workforce, good on you as well. Just be prepared to find some new lodging if your parents are as strict as they sound. It's all a part of growing up and they'll still love you.
I'm just glad my wife didn't make ME move out when I took up cigars, and then pipes :D. She tolerates pipes much more, the smell goes away much quicker.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Technically an adult? Maybe in some states.
But giving smoking advice to a teen (18year old) sounds like a bad idea.
Moderators, what say you?

anarchisthermit

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2015
And as long as you live in your parents house, you are under their control to a certain extent. You need to leave thenest to leave the nest.

Status
Not open for further replies.