A new Peterson—was I expecting too much?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I rec'd my Peterson Rosslare Royal and while it's a beauty, I was a bit disappointed to see that the top of the bowl was crooked (I know, I know, a major first-world problem) :)
I don't have a local B&M (the closest is an hour away and their stock is limited) - so I had to risk buying this online. I don't intend to return but I was surprised that a mistake like this would make it out of the shop.
When others have bought a brand new $100 pipe, do you expect imperfections of this kind? Was I sold a "second"? I would appreciate opinions, esp from those who have more experience with new pipes than I.
peterson-ross.jpg

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
If you bought it online I would contact the place you bought it from. And probably shoot an email to Petersons.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
That's odd, but then I never checked mine! It's a good looking pipe and if it smokes well I'd say forget about it. If it bugs you too much either call the merchant or I'm sure one of the Peterson guys here will take it off your hands.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
It's a pretty pipe.If you can't get anything else done and it really bothers you get the top refinished.Otherwise just enjoy smoking it.

irishflake

Might Stick Around
Jun 30, 2012
Michigan
I am a big Peterson fan, and have more Petersons than any other make. That said, I have to point out that Peterson is turning out a lot of third rate workmanship. One look at the so-called 'rustication' on a new Donegal Rocky is enough for me to look elsewhere for a rustic pipe. I ordered a new Aran 120 from smokingpipes and it was very clunky, much thicker shank and careless finishing, the stain was unevenly applied and I can see the machine tool marks on the outside of the bowl- and I think it qualifies as the ugliest pipe I own. It lacks the customary stamps; no Made in Republic of Ireland, no 'P' brand on the shank. A LOT of corner-cutting. It is entirely possible that the pipe was not made in Ireland at all. The old ones are better made. I have a 1980 120 that is much more elegant and light, and I can get a pipe cleaner through it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If it were me buying a brand new pipe, I want it to be perfect. I would never accept something like that. In my opinion it is pretty shoddy that something would leave the factory like that.I would return it and ask for another one and ask them to make sure there are no defects before sending it.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Remember, these are factory produced pipes. While I agree it is annoying, its probably going to be a great smoking pipe.
I have had my share of issues as well. I have a billiard that looks like they shaved off a section of the bottom right side, its like they sliced it at an angle. Couldn't see that in the picture but its a great smoker, so I ignore it. Also picked up a sandblasted pot and the stem was crooked when it showed up. I don't think it should have left the store that way (both were mail order) but I was able to fix it by applying some heat to it.
That said, if it bothers you definitely return it because otherwise you will not get nearly as much enjoyment out of it. If it weighs 45g or less, let me know, I might take it off your hands. It is definitely not a second. I totally agree with you it is annoying though.
Mike

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mr English, why would you put up with that kind of shoddy workmanship? I think if more people returned their stuff, maybe they would get it in their heads that people are not going to put up with that kind of thing.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I guess this is why I've been told to only buy OLD Pete's unless I can hold them first...the issues you guys have listed would absolutely warrant a return from me.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I cant tell from the picture you have. Is the top tilted from left to right ? If its tilted from front to back, a Billiard is supposed to be canted that way a few degrees.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
I can't tell from your picture either but I was going to order the 408 that the store you bought from has. I have been waiting to find a 408 in that style for a while and when I saw the price I couldn't believe it. Rosslare Royal Irish pipes usually go for much more than $100 (about $200 from what I've seen and a quote on Pipedia from Jim Lilley). Your issue might explain the price. I think I'm going to stick to only buying pipes in stores where I can handle them first even if it means paying a bit more.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I really appreciate everyone's opinion.
[irishflake] good to know. My other new Peterson also has a small cosmetic flaw - minor compared to this one, but I am thinking the workmanship at Peterson's is sketchy.
[Lonestar] unfortunately it's tilted left to right. It was really hard to photograph, but it's most noticeable when held in the mouth, looking down the stem.
I ordered it overseas (will leave the seller out of it for now) and the price was very good (which almost makes me wonder if it could be a second). Also, I couldn't find it in the U.S. anyway.
At this point, thanks to everyone's comments, I am tempted to write Peterson's and ask what they could do - can't hurt.
This is one of those things that I can, if I choose to, put it out of my mind and enjoy the pipe - but I guess right now, I would prefer it to be perfect. That said, I don't believe I'll be buying another new Peterson (unless they do fix the problem somehow).

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks [herbinedave] - I didn't know that.
I've seen prices for similar Rosslare Royal's going for over $170 in the U.S. - so the fact that I paid less makes the imperfection a bit easier to accept. Still, good price or not, I will write Peterson's and let you know how it goes.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
+1 Dave on the half truths, I love my Pete's but I've contacted them twice and can't get a straight forward answer. Nice lady tho..

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
A Peterson that I purchased brand new a few months back before I knew a little about pipes had 5 large fills on it that were slightly hidden and I only noticed them recently. It makes me seriously sad after hearing how well-made they used to be.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Sorry to hear it [galeon] - I looked for fills on mine, didn't catch any (yet).
I am a bit disappointed too but live and learn I guess. Wish I had access to a good B&M where I can inspect the merchandise, instead, will have to continue the online way.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
@cigrmaster. I did not notice the problem with the billiard until I had smoked it several times. The bent stemmed pipe was a larger piece that was light weight and I considered sending it back to SPC. It was such an easy fix that I just went ahead and kept it. I agree with you though, I should have at least complained about so there would be feedback. Now, I just ask a ton of questions and ask for additional pictures, which SPC always provides.
I have picked up a dozen new ones since Feb and hands down these have been the easiest Peterson's I have ever broken in and they all smoke wonderfully.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
That pipe is in really good shape for a Peterson, I had to order 4 of their system pipes before I finally got one up to my standards, and even that one didn't have a completely round outside rim, it was sort of roundish (but very difficult to notice). The pipes they turn out look absolutely astonishing for only $100 pipes, however they do have flaws. I would enjoy that pipe as the flaw is not going to make it smoke bad, and it will still look amazing.
New pipes from Peterson are simply not going to be all that Pefect, if you want a pipe that is, don't get a Peterson, or get free shipping both ways is all I can say. Now that I have read, it tilts towards the right, I would probabley return it if it bothered me, to the original seller. I lost like $25 in shipping both ways for 3 pipes, so beware, the next one may be more flawed than the one you already have and perfect is something Peterson doesn't do.
As a side note, I love their pipes, they are cheaper than the competitors, however I think all my future purchases will be used estate pipes, as their new ones just don't come out that great as mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.