A new Peterson—was I expecting too much?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
A brief update: Peterson wrote me back and said they will repair or replace the pipe. So I decided to send it in (uninsured!! 8O since it would cost nearly $40 to send in insured).
Taking me chances! There were actually two issues, the other being that the tenon was too tight and caused the stem to get a twist crack in it so I cannot imagine them repairing it...
I will let you know the outcome. But in the meantime, I am out an otherwise nice pipe for who knows how long... :crying:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I would have sent it back to the site you bought it from... not to Peterson in IRELAND lol...

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I would have sent it back to the site you bought it from... not to Peterson in IRELAND lol...
Well, it was purchased from an online retailer in... wait for it.... Ireland! :roll:
And I had smoked it before noticing the problem. What can you do!
I can only hope this story has a happy ending with me smoking my new, perfect, Peterson Rosslare Royal!

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Sadly, it happens. The first Peterson I bought had a badly drilled shank (imagine the normal shank-tenon connection with a semicircle attached). To me, it looks as though the pipe slipped in the chuck while drilling, and it went off angle. I didn't know any better at the time, so I never returned it. Disappointing in hindsight and, thankfully, its in an area that cannot be seen.
If I knew then what I know now, it would have been returned.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
For tight stems just take a piece of sandpaper 600 grit or so and sand the stem until it is just right. You can also do some fine tuning by rubbing the graphite off a pencil onto the stem and let it coat the inside of the pipe when you insert it and turn it around.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Couple things, first, when exactly were base to mid line Petes known for super good quality? Sure as hell not since 1986, when I started buying them.
Second, and really more of a personality question than anything else, how did it smoke? I've put up with some screwy Petes just 'cause they were lovely smokes.
Today, at 100 bucks, I don't think you can have too fussy a looks-o-meter and be happy. But a good smoker is a good smoker.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Couple things, first, when exactly were base to mid line Petes known for super good quality?
Well, being a newbie, that's why I asked the question.
And I could have lived with the pipe as it was, but this was from their "royal" line, which they say only uses the best briar, silver fittings... So with this description, Peterson created an expectation of a higher standard, so I don't think I'm being fussy by having them take a look at it.
But we'll see. This could blow up in my face if they try to "repair" instead of replace (but I don't expect that). Either way, I'll report the outcome as soon as I know.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
My #307's tenon to shank is super tight as well. You can hear it squeak, squeak as you put it back after cleaning. I may have to buy some K-Y for it.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I work part time at a major tobacco retailer on the east coast. I see a lot of Peterson pipes. I would say over 50% of them have quality control issues that I do not see on other pipes in the same price range. The most noticeable problem I see with them is the drill holes on bent pipes. Many of them are very poorly drilled. The drill holes are all over the place and almost always high.
They should take a lesson or two from Eric Nording. His pipes almost always have drill holes right at the bottom of the bowl.
Savinelli also does a much better job IMO with consistency. As far as cookie cutter pipes go Savinelli is the way to go. Disappointing really because I love the style of Petersons, but for the money they just are not up to par.

Aug 14, 2012
I think it is a beautiful pipe for $100 & wouldn't be at all concerned with the top of the bowl. I have lots of high end Petersons and they are all great pipes EXCEPT the fit of the stem to the shank is rarely just right and the draught hole is sometimes too narrow, badly drilled and hard to get a cleaner through. Peterson is notorious for this. In other words, the craftsmanship could be better. I still love to smoke them. Obviously the lower priced Petersons will be made from blocks that were rejected for the expensive pipes. If you want perfect, get a Dunhill, and you will still find small defects.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
My 2 Cents...I would contact the place of purchase...maybe ask for a discount, or see if they will return it and pay for shipping...last thing you want is to pay for shipping back and wait for a new pipe...while all pipes are not perfect, one would assume the bowl to be straight...

Status
Not open for further replies.