PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
It's been a good while ago now, but whenever I start to smoke an OTC blend, I always remember a scene from an old B/W British WWII movie, where some officers are setting around planning a military operation, and out of the blue the commander, who's setting behind a desk smoking a pipe, says "how can those American chaps smoke this stuff", and proceeds to dump the tobacco out. Lol.
Do any forum members remember seeing that particular movie? I don't know the name of the movie, or the stars involved, although he was a very popular british actor.
I would like to find out, and possibly see the movie again. I think the british armed forces must have recieved free pipe tobacco from the U.S. and had to tolerate cased american blends. They didn't like it much.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Pick one. *Taken from Wikipedia
The Dam Busters (1954), Dunkirk (1958), Reach for the Sky (1956) Sink the Bismarck! (1960). The Best Years of Our Lives (1946), Battleground (1949), Home of the Brave (1949), Command Decision (1948), and Twelve O'Clock High (1949). Sands of Iwo Jima (1949), Halls of Montezuma (1950) or D-Day the Sixth of June (1956). Twentieth-Century Fox made a succession of war films realistically filmed in black-and-white in the early 1950s that highlighted little-known aspects of World War II, among them The Frogmen, Go For Broke!, You're in the Navy Now, and Decision Before Dawn. The Young Lions (1958), The Naked and the Dead (1958), Battle Cry (1955), Run Silent, Run Deep (1958), Captain Newman, M.D. (1963), The Caine Mutiny (1954), Away All Boats (1956), The Enemy Below (1957), From Here to Eternity (1953), Kings Go Forth (1958), Never So Few (1959), The Mountain Road (1960), and In Harm's Way (1965).
Sorry it's a mess. Here's a link to the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.