PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
All this talk of this or that person passing away made me want to go back a few years for a closer look to see just who I missed and I came up with some surprising names that I bet some of you missed some as well! I also wanted to see if 2016 really was as bad as it seemed—- it was.
A closer look at 2016:
May 5th - Isao Tomita b. 1932. Tomita was a pioneer in electronic music of the ’70’s, I have several of his eerie, ethereal albums.
July 27th - Jerry Doyle b. 1956. Best known for his role as Michael Garibaldi on the hit 1990's TV show Babylon 5. Dead.
Oct. 24th - Bobby Vee b. 1943. American pop singer
A closer look at 2015:
Famous actors died:
Rod Taylor

Leonard Nimoy

Christopher Lee

Dick van Patton

Omar Sharif

Dean Jones

Maureen O’Hara

Robert Loggia
But did you know that Grace Lee Whitney died as well? May 1st. She played Yeoman Janice Rand beside Leonard Nimoy on Star Trek. And Yvonne Craig passed away Aug. 17th. She played Batgirl and was also on an episode of Star Trek. Lastly, Wayne Rogers of MASH passed away Dec. 31st.
Famous Musicians died:
Clark Terry

B. B. King

James Horner (film composer)

Lynn Anderson

Phil Taylor
But did you know that Chris Squire also passed away June 27th? He was the bass player for YES.
Famous Wrestlers died:
Verne Gagne

Dusty Rhodes
But did you know that Rowdy Roddy Piper also passed away July 31st? He was well known for wearing a kilt and his interviews, as well as doing a few films.
And lastly, a closer look at 2014:
Famous actors included:
Shirley Temple

Sid Caesar

Harold Ramis

Mickey Rooney

Efram Zimbalist Jr.

Eli Wallach

James Garner

Robin Williams

Lauren Bacall

Joan Rivers
Famous Musicians included:
Paco De Lucia b. 1947. One of the greatest guitarists of all time. Saw him live.

Charlie Haden

Tommy Ramone

Johnny Winter b. 1944. One of the first live groups I saw as a kid.

Glenn Cornick, bassist for Jethro Tull.

Joe Cocker

Jack Bruce, bassist for the group Cream.
Famous Wrestlers passed away include:
The Ultimate Warrior
I'm betting that somewhere in there is at least one person who touched your life deeply.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nimoy passed away on my birthday. The only member of the original Star Trek cast that I never got to meet, and the only one that I really wanted to. Was very saddened by his passing.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Sadly, when the year 2017 comes to its end, we will recognize that the number of "celebrity" deaths will probably match those of this year and years previous. We seem to have short memories, as toobfreak's post notices.
Btw, Duane, DeForest was my 2nd cousin. In my youth, I spent many a day in his father's home in Toccoa.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You'd lose the bet. Not a person on it "touched" my life deeply. There's a couple I admired, some were entertaining, others made contributions in areas of no interest to me. But no, not a one of them had any particular impact in/on my life other than providing for a bit of entertainment now and then.
Very few of us like to be reminded of our own mortality. I'm guessing most of us here are closer to the end than the start. But, what do you expect, every birth is a death owed. There's nothing particularly noteworthy about death, it's an everyday occurrence.
I'm betting some of those people on the list above were totally surprised at their untimely demise. Others might have seen death as a welcome relief. But, life ain't easy nor is it fair and to rate a year as good or bad based on the obituaries seems a bit odd to me. Whatever turns one's crank I suppose.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Btw, Duane, DeForest was my 2nd cousin. In my youth, I spent many a day in his father's home in Toccoa.
Met him and George at a show in California in the early 90's. Great couple of guys, though all of them I talked to never had much positive to say for Shatner. :mrgreen:

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I have to agree with Warren on this. Some are entertaining but for the most part big feeling, overpaid twats.

I just read an article explaining that 2016 was about on par with past years for celebrity deaths. The first part of the year had a little higher than years past but it all evened out to about average.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
The only member of the original Star Trek cast that I never got to meet, and the only one that I really wanted to.
I got to meet Scotty, Sulu and Nurse Chapel. Of the three, Chapel (Majel Barrett) was very cool.
We seem to have short memories, as toobfreak's post notices.
2016 was definitely the worst of the past three years when you look at them in total.
Very cool.
As to those who say none of the people passing away these past three years really meant anything special to them? What can I say. A few of the actors and several of the musicians played very important roles in my life, very very talented, selfless and giving people, not "overpaid twats" by any measure. I will miss them dearly.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
+1 warren & davet. Couldn't agree more with both of you. Respect for their survivors, but no weeping & gnashing of teeth by me.
Graveyards are full of indispensable people.
None of those departed luminaries were indispensable, in my opinion.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
We may think someone is overpaid. The one paying the moneys doesn't, he's the one whose opinion counts. If I pay a person a million and they return that plus 20 grand, I'm a satisfied employer. It's not what the person does, it's the return on investment. If paying a person 20 million a year brings you 21 million you're a fool not to hire that person.
While I might be a bit jealous and, at the same time, admiring of what some superstar earns, I've not felt the urge to disparage them and call them names. The few "stars" I've met earned all that money long before they came to stardom and starting getting the big bucks. They worked hard at their craft for little money, learning and perfecting. I just can't muster the energy to begrudge someone I do not know the moneys they make. Someone has placed a value on them, who am I to cast aspersions.
toobfreak: Merle wasn't on your list. I took his loss personally as we'd shared some time together over the years. I might feel a bit sad that I won't be entertained by say, Maureen O'Hara any longer, but that's simply a selfish feeling on my part as I really enjoyed her acting. No real sense of loss though as I never met the lady and all I know is what I've read or seen on the screen.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Merle Haggard was listed in the original thread. This thread only concerned other people I found digging deeper.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Wild and weird. None of these people are relevant to me. Guess it is part of the Balkanization -- we all find our tribes, and mine does not include Hollywood.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I look at cinema as the literature of modern times. I know of most of the actors on that list, and mourned the passing of most. Rod Taylor, who did "The Time Machine" and Hitchcock's ""The Birds", was a favorite. I saw Robin Williams in New Orleans on his last tour. A tormented talent that will never be replaced. I cannot say that I was not affected by each and every one, I could go on and on, but truly, it mostly reminds me of our mortality as mere humans.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Taking this thread in a slightly different direction, notable scientists and engineers who touched most of us in some way or another, who departed in 2016 include --
Jay Forrester

John Glenn

John Ellenby

Simon Ramo

Jane Fawcett

Andy Grove

Ann Caracristi

Dale Schenk

Susan Lindquist

Jack Woodall

Henry Heimlich

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I'm betting that somewhere in there is at least one person who touched your life deeply.
I went back and parsed your post as well as my language and writing skills permit. I still come away with the understanding that your reference "in there" meant you were addressing the results of your search only. Me bad for missing some other inference. My apologies.
As I wrote, Merle wasn't on your list. Ergo, no one on your list moved me.
My cigar also please! I also apparently get it. Whatever it is. See second paragraph of my first response.
Note: I, obviously, am starting off the new year with entirely too much time on hands. I'm picking way too many nits.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The Cult of the Celebrity is totally bewildering to me. I didn't know them, don't mourn them, but I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think it was Leno who remarked re "Dancing with the Stars", "Well, no real celebrities were harmed in the production"
Celebrity has become the overworked and over-expanded phrase of this century. If I never hear again the word "Kardashian" or "Kayne" I will be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.