PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Well I ordered a MM cob along with some Mixture 79 and some other stuff and it all arrived today. Had a lot of really important stuff going on that simply could not wait today so I did what any self-respecting pipe smoker would have done---
---I dropped everything else to try out the new pipe and tobacco! :clap:
The pipe is OK (I mean that in a good way). I mean, for five bucks, what more could I ask for? The thing looks essentially flawless (for a cob) and I'm gonna be smoking the crap out of this thing.
It doesn't have the hardwood plug I was expecting, I guess you have to buy one of the better pipes, but I wish the website gave more details. That said, I read a long article on everything cob--- you know what? I will wing it how I break it in, build cake or not and all that sort of stuff. Not rocket science.
The pipe also has some sort of paper filter contraption in the shank--- I don't use filters but left it in at least for the first bowl to see how things go. I can always take it out later.
Everything in the box had a very strong scent of licorice candy! That is, all except the actual bag of 79. It had just a mild aroma. I transferred it over into a glass mason jar for keeping, but the tobacco doesn't have much of a smell, nothing like licorice. A course cut burley I think, I filled a bowl of it loosely.
The pipe smokes nicely. Eventually gets hot up top but you can hold it by the bottom. I like the thing! Kinda pretty. But smoking the 79, I don't get any flavor or aroma at all like anise or licorice, I even left the room, walked around and came back in and took a big inhale--- in that regard, very disappointed in the stuff. Whatever smell it has in the jar is very weak and nondescript-- I don't know what it is. Don't think I'd buy it again.
Pipe bowl has a nice char after the first bowl, I will look forward to smoking something else in it that I am actually familiar with. As to the Mixture 79, I opened the jar and smelled it again--- Damn! Doesn't smell like much of anything; don't know if it was the bag the stuff was sent in or what, but in disgust, I figured I had nothing to lose so I broke out my bottle of high end Ouzo I have from Greece and threw about a dram of that into the jar on top of the tobacco, then for good measure, also got out some German Jagermeilter, which is kind of like Ouzo but darker and richer and threw about a dram of that in as well.
I'll let that stuff soak in, soak through and permeate the tobacco now--- that should really make it taste and smell like something I hope! I just cracked the lid to check it out and boy! Now it smells like something really nice! No doubt about what it is supposed to be. Much like I originally expected. A step above store-bought 79, I think I'll call it Mixture 80.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Congrats on the cob, man. I never use the filters, on any pipe but especially a cob. Hardwood plugs aren't a standard option but not a single cob without the plug has ever burned out on me. You can add one easy enough anyway. Never worked to break one in, just smoke the hell out of them and cut back the cake when it's too thick to pack more than a 5 minute bowl. Oh and clean them now and again, they go way longer without showing any signs of being smoked relentlessly but they'll get funky if you take too much advantage of that.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
If you take the filter out and the pipe has too much draw just cut a pipe cleaner in half, fold it and stick it in the stem. The more expensive solution would be to buy an ebonite stem.
What model pipe to you get?

papapauly

Lurker
Jan 2, 2017
Glad you enjoyed that cob! My favorite pipe from MM is the country gentleman. It is a bit larger bowl and a nice looking pipe in my opinion. I don't think any of mine have the plug either and I am sitting on 16 corn cob pipes that are active in my pipe rotation (never had a burnout in many years of cob smoking) I actually just started adding briar pipes to my collection, I have been a cob smoker for years but recently got curious about how briar smokes. I like my briars but if I had to pick just one pipe you can bet it would be my gentleman cob

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Hardwood plugs aren't a standard option but not a single cob without the plug has ever burned out on me.
That's what I read! One fellow said he got years and years with the pipe as it is, and the shank sticks in down there to help protect things and I'm going to let things build up down around it naturally. Felt no undue heat down there anyway.
I bought the Legacy Bent as a good basic place to begin. Might get a General as well. Should be a good chimney for flakes.
That Country Gentleman looks nice as does some of the freehands. I normally don't smoke a pipe for at least a day or two but I think I want to stuff that cob and try it with something else again tonight! Sans filter this time.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Now that you've realized the power of the cob you'll have to try an Old Dominion in addition to your Missouri Meerschaum. :puffy:

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
"...the shank sticks in down there to help protect things and I'm going to let things build up down around it naturally."
Cobs are really good at letting things happen naturally. Here's one of mine, been reamed several times, lost/found, and gone through five or more stems over the years. They last.
img_4145-600x450.jpg

I even cleaned up a filthy cob found in a humidor as an experiment. Replaced the shank with a piece of Briar but used a MM amber bit. There's something about old Corn, dead root, vintage, century old Corn Cob, much better grain than the modern equivalent and that translates into a better smoke...

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Yes, I've been looking at those Old Dominions as well. Newer company, I guess they originally grew some type of Indian corn and found out it was great for pipes! I don't buy pipes often, I already have more than I really need, and most of them were estates. Kinda nice to have a NEW pipe, especially one that isn't just a different shape but a whole new type never tried before! Best of all, I don't need to take care how I handle it, where I sit it, if I bang it, if it falls over, I can stuff it in my shirt pocket without being heavy or worrying that it could fall out. Brings a whole-other casual dimension to relaxing and smoking. And most anything on it can be fixed if needed without shipping it to a pipe doctor. It won't replace my good meers, but it sure as hell will give them more of a rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.