PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Poor idiot! I heard she mortgaged her house to have it published. Leave Santa alone, as well as all literature written by long gone writers.
(Santa’s gonna love the cookies in Colorado and Washington).

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I agree with the guy.
Just because you're politically left of center - and I am - does not mean you like busybodies, and that's what this lady is. I don't like "liberal" busybodies any more than I like "conservative" busybodies.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
I agree with the guy.
Just because you're politically left of center - and I am - does not mean you like busybodies, and that's what this lady is. I don't like "liberal" busybodies any more than I like "conservative" busybodies.
Very well said. Thank you, Jud.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
By the way..very nice article by Dion.

With regards to the lady, I shrug as I take another puff and contemplate this worlds madness :puffpipe:

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
I wonder what she'll rewrite next.

Hunter S. Thompson?

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

I went to Vegas with my lawyer. We wanted to find the American dream. It was fun but the dream has died.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Things like this just make me sad... lets re-write Twain amongst many others that might come across as "offensive"
Whatever your opinions or thoughts might be... these things are classics. And regardless whether you agree or not, history (whether fictional or non) is history... it should never change regardless of how bad you feel it might be.
oh and assaad... great reference, Im a HUGE Hunter S. Thompson fan. :lol:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I would describe myself as being very liberal for the most part (it's obviously more complicated than such a label can convey) but that does not extend to "political correctness" and Nannyism! I despise this kind of attack on history.
Censorship is the stuff of totalitarian regimes; anybody with a brain in a modern democratic society should be vehemently opposed to this type of politically motivated literary revisionism...

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Censorship is the stuff of totalitarian regimes; anybody with a brain in a modern democratic society should be vehemently opposed to this type of politically motivated literary revisionism...
HMMmmm,maybe we should be burning these awful books :evil:

puffin

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2010
This egregious example of censorship is very dangerous. When it becomes ok to omit certain excerpts from classic literature we enter a realm with which I am very uncomfortable. I would hope we all can agree (and I stand beside Jud and Simenon when I declare myself as "Left") that none of us condone senseless and quite frankly impractical rhetoric regardless of political affiliation (I say this well aware that both parties have participated in such nonsense).
Thanks for posting what needed to be said. Thanks for standing up against historical omission because of trendiness and convenience. Thanks for standing against the political posturing against our past-time. Thank you for being the voice of reason.
Brandon

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Things like this just make me sad... lets re-write Twain amongst many others that might come across as "offensive"
They have rewritten Twain already; too politically incorrect. Huckleberry Finn has been "sanitized" for the sake of "the children". It makes me weep for our culture when we choose to rewrite the past to somehow apologize for words or actions of those long since past.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The idea of removing "offensive" material is not new, folks. You've heard the word "bowdlerize"?
to expurgate (as a book) by omitting or modifying parts considered vulgar
The word comes from Thomas Bowdler, who published a "family" edition of Shakespeare that was "more suitable for women and children" in the early 19th century. "Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose." (The more things change, the more they stay the same.)

Status
Not open for further replies.