PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Poor choice of words on my part. Consensus is not what I was shooting for. Thinking more along the line that if everyone stated their ONE Va, that I could look at the majority and try those first.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...aquadoc, it makes perfect sense. See what some of us like. I was just having fun with the contrast between burley first people and Virginia mainly people. This is all just fun. People of different dispositions fall into both camps, exacting experts and free-spirit go-with-the-flow, and many alternate. Maybe most.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I wonder if SmokingPipes.com could be coaxed into listing their top 20 sellers in each tobacco genre. That isn't exactly responsive to the OP, but it would be interesting. (Then too, same product in different sizes are ranked separately, which confounds things.)
But for inventory planning, they must have some sense of varying customer demands.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I searched TR.com for most "favorited" 4-star straight Va flakes with >30 reviews...

but this only represents those folks who took the time to mark them as a favorite.
...in no particular order...
Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Flake

McClelland - Blackwoods Flake (Personal Reserve)

Dunhill - Flake

Samuel Gawith - Best Brown Flake

Mac Baren - Capstan Original Navy Cut

Cornell & Diehl - Opening Night (Simply Elegant Series)

G. L. Pease - Union Square (Fog City Selection)

Mac Baren - Capstan Gold Navy Cut

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Bright CR Flake

Dan Tobacco - Hamburger Veermaster

Fribourg & Treyer - Cut Virginia Plug

Wessex - Campaign Dark Flake (Brigade)

Astley's - No.109 Medium Flake

Butera - Dark Stoved (Royal Vintage)

Astley's - No.44 Dark Virginia Flake

McClelland - Christmas Cheer 2008

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Consensus is overrated. You will get a number of opinions, from a number of personalities. Some will be more proficient than you are, some will be less. You will have to judge these sources as they are relevant to you.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
It may have been better to ask favorite red, golden, and stoved. From my limited experience so far I've liked Red and Black the most if I had to pick one.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
As of today, it's 20+ year old old style can of Haddo's I'm reveling in and oh my... it's fabulous. But I have to give a tip of the hat to the 40th Anniversary as well.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I missed McClelland's Virginia offers (mostly in the form of broken flakes) for almost a decade, and wished I find the similar joy with names such as Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake, Capstan Original Navy Cut, Dan Tobacco Hamburger Veermaster, but unlikely I didn't. Perhaps that was due to my bad technique in smoking flakes fold-and-stuff and my unwillingness to develop a ritual to smoke my flakes totally rubbed out and/or cube-cut.
Have noted down a few new blends and will be ordering them when I finally place an order of tobacco across the pond.

Status
Not open for further replies.