PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I’ve been looking for a full tasting, smooth, sweet cigar in the $6 range,. Stopped in J.R. Cigar near Charlotte NC, clerk suggested the 8-5-8 line. He nailed it, been enjoying this cigar line for the last year. Remarkably, they have been consistent in taste, don’t get too strong until the last 1”, and never had one that didn’t have a good draw.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I've been smoking 8-5-8s for more than 30 years, it is my go-to cigar. I prefer the natural, although I occasionally smoke the Maduro and sun-grown. I can't remember ever being disappointed smoking this cigar.

kdfva

Lurker
Nov 14, 2018
Many from the A. Fuente Hemingway line will meet your taste versus cost expectations.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
8-5-8 Maduro is my all time favorite cigar. Sure there are others that are more exotic tasting or complex, but you’ll never be disappointed by the 8-5-8 Maduro. So tasty.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I just had my first cigar in a year and a half since I switched to pipes. This post has me thinking I might grab some 8-5-8s this summer.

Sep 18, 2015
No contest here Padron is the way to go, if you let em rest for a year + they go from very good to fantastic. One of the better value cigars IMO.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Man, I used to pay 3 bucks apiece for 858s before the 90s cigar boom. I preferred the naturals then, but nowadays I'll occasionally pick up a claro 858, which I like better now for some reason. I used to love Fuente Don Carlos and Hemingway lines too, but it's been a while.

Idk if they're good these days, but I used to order Joya de Nicaraguas by the box. They were good and cheap.
Speaking of Padron: Their Anniversarios were awesome, or at least they were about 15 years ago.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Many from the A. Fuente Hemingway line will meet your taste versus cost expectations.
Interesting you mention that, my sweet wife bought me a Hemingway Churchill. Can’t wait to try it.
Re Padron, another enjoyable smoke is the Londres. It’s sweet, and a rich smoke.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
I have smoked the 858 since before the boom. As tnfan stated the sun grown in great and my all-time favorite. I have a large home wine refrigerator humidor filled with Padron's, Opus X and cubans , but I always have several boxes of 858 sun grown available and if there was one cigar left to smoke that would be my pick. We were fortunate this past year to see an abundance of 858Rosado wrapper and they are right up there with the sun grown. It pays to live close to one of the great older tobacconists we have left.

cerfer

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2017
Wow ... you guys get the 8-5-8s for $6? you must love the USA ...

Under $5 for the frugal shopper/searcher. That said, I can't find any Sarmale around here...

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
I love the 8-5-8s (natural or maduro, don’t care). To me this is the perfect golf course cigar.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I'm a big fan of the Fuente 858, both sungrown and maduro, as well. Hard to beat for the price in my opinion. On the rare occasion that I reach for a cigar it's usually an Arturo Fuente. Their prices and consistency just made me a big fan of the brand from the start of my cigar smoking days.

Status
Not open for further replies.