PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Many believe brylon to be the poor cousin of pipes, as many do the cob. However, I have had nothing but good times with brylons. I own a Medico Conquerer and a Yellobole Nova, both straight stems, to mention a few. The Nova is a rather large pipe with a scoop-bit design. Of my bryolns, it is my favorite because of the heavy weight and thick bowl. The medico has a rather thin bowl, which can lead to overheating if smoked as though you are puffing away on a ciggy. This pipe uses 6mm medico paper filters. The pipe is shorter, one I would put in the nose-warmer category. These pipes can conjure the dreaded tongue-bite, don't get me wrong. So can a $200 briar. Simply put, any pipe, regardless of material or cost can leave your tongue scorched for days if sucked down too fast. Yes, they can get rather warm, just don't suck it down so quickly as the point of pipe smoking is to enjoy a nice relaxing smoke. Not trying to sell anyone here a brylon, but I feel that they deserve their place in the general discussion of our hobby.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
smokinfireman, welcome aboard! Your services are needed here as a proponent of the under-appreciated Brylon pipe. There is one other Forums member who recommends his Brylon pipes because of their sturdiness in his work place situation where he is doing reclamation in buildings after fires. He points out that nothing holds up as well in a rough work place where he can't always have clean hands and his pipes get knocked around, etc. So you are the second spokesman for Brylons. Others have said they own one or two and don't mind smoking them, but they are only luke warm on them, as I read it. I don't own a Brylon, having more pipes than I need as it is, but I am interested in who buys them and why they smoke them. So thanks for the input. You'll put up with some ribbing here, but that's just par. Brylon needs another strong voice on Forums. You might issue a Brylon challenge and see if you can get others to give them a try; at least, no doubt, the price is right.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a Brylon that I bought back in the 70's. Let's just say that it is grossly under used. I keep it as an interesting piece of pipe history. Glad you enjoy yours. Happy smoke rings.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Nice to meet you all and thanks for the welcome and replies. Glad to be a member of Pipes Magazine!

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
I get they're not everyone's favorite. We all have our "comfy pipes". If you're as active as I am and lose stuff like I do they're perfect. I never usually take a briar to work or fishing. Better to lose a $25 brylon than a hundred+ dollar Peterson or something of the ilk. One of the best features of brylon is that you can smoke all day in them. Just let 'em cool and dry 'em out with a quality pipe cleaner and good to go. Great if you're like me and smoke 6-8 bowls a day.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I've never been tempted by the sexy space-age wiles of Brylon myself, but I understand they are a good "rough duty" pipe, and that's why a lot of people like them. I am curious, though; do they have a removeable stem, or are they a one-piece affair?

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I am not going to knock them before trying them, but I am also not going to try them. I am just more of a raw materials guy, wood, clay, corn.
Isaac

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
I absolutely agree that brylon has a place in our community. I've been a big fan since I started our hobby. The material gets a lot of flack and I feel it's undeserving of it. Glad to see that I'm not alone. :puffpipe:

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
@ aldecaker
Yes they do have removable stems. While they may be space age, they look traditional. These were invented in the 60s when folks liked experimenting.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
As I've noted before, I have two brylon pipes. They are my travel pipes, they smoke just fine and can take some abuse. Can they get hot? Yes. Are they heavy for their size? Yes. Are there other drawbacks? None that I can see. As with a few of my other hobbies, people sometimes like to criticize. As with most of those other hobbies, if you are enjoying yourself, you are doing it right.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Welcome aboard Smokinfireman, Hope to see you around some more.
I also don't have an opinion on Brylon pipes, Ive never smoked one nor do I know much about them... so its much better to keep my trap shut and listen :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.