PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I just finished cleaning up this 1952 Tanshell 56. Very pleased! I really like how similar in shape to an LC it is. I also think it's cool that it's from the first year Tanshells were made. This one's a keeper!
img_4840-600x428.jpg

img_4843-600x368.jpg

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Very nice! Love the blast pattern on that one. Congrats!

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Its tan color is so beautiful, much brighter than my Tanshell in later years production.

Perhaps that was due to having been oil-cured.
Congrats!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks all!
Menuhin, I personally prefer the lighter ones as well. This one was almost black when I got it, but it was due to grime and tars from the previous owner. I used to have a 1961 Liverpool that was as light as I've ever seen. Love them that way!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
According to the late John Loring, the TanShell (sic) actually entered production in 1951, and was to originally be dubbed the "Root Shell." In his book titled The Dunhill Pipe - The Patent Years and After he states, "Ultimately however the name TanShell was settled upon but the stamp for the TanShell name was not received by Dunhill until the beginning of December. Thus while the TanShell was in production in 1951 it appears that most if not all TanShells made in that year did not enter into retail distribution until 1952 and were given a 1952 date code."

Status
Not open for further replies.