PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Well I saw Yoru's posts and I sort of felt like showing off a little.
Here is the first one I made. I needed a pipe rack and I also needed it to fit the smoker's table which was given to me by my papa (grandfather) and belonged to my great-grandfather.
rack1.jpg

And another shot.
rack2.jpg

Here is the second. It started it's life as a little artist's stocker but now it is way more fun imo.
rack3.jpg

And this is one I'm working on as a gift to a fellow pipe smoker in the youtube pipe smoker community who doesn't have a rack. It will rotate when it's done.
rack4.jpg

bowhatchie

Sep 27, 2010
Great job... its hard to beat something done by ones own hand..especially when there is sentimental attachment such as with your Grandpa's table.... Well done!

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Awww man those are so cool! Making me look all bad by mentioning me in the post heh heh. Nah but seriously mate, very nice work

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I really like the vertical rack you're working on. :clap:
Like bowhatchie said, it's so nice to have a contact point with your grandpa. It's like a part of him is still there with you. :puffy:

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Thank you very much everybody. Haha, I'm not particularly proud of that first one being made out of plywood and all but it is functional.
Lawrence you've got yourself a great piece in that pipe rack né shelf.

Cortezattic, the vertical rack is definitely my favourite so far both for it's simplicity and how great it makes a pipe collection look. Nevermind that it'll hold 20 pipes in a square foot (Well 30 might be manageable if you're comfortable putting them in the edge and don't mind the extra real estate).

Yoru, all you need to make your own just as good or better than mine is grit and determination. I made the first with a dremel, a drill, and a hack saw! Not counting the sandpaper, hammer and nails. Heck if you choose a wood softer than oak (which is murder filing the slots to where I'd like 'em) you could make a verti-rack of your own from about the same tools. I even have a Google sketchup file I could send you that has the measurements I worked from. Though I may have some notes once I'm done mine.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Nicely put about building the racks. A little thought goes a long way towards overcoming a lack of tools. If you were in the area I would let you use my wood shop. Lots of nice toys there.

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
If I were I'd jump at the chance to work with you. I'd definitely be able to learn a thing or two.

I may only be 15 or so hours away but unfortunately that's not what I'd call "in the neighbourhood".

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
Nice work.
You are very lucky to have heirlooms passed down from generations.

Something to hand down to your son one day.

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
I do consider myself quite lucky to have it. Especially since I could only assume he made it himself being a farmer if my memory serves.

If I ever do have a son I can only hope that he'll value it as highly as I do now.

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Well if you do decide to break out the tools I could definitely send you a Google Sketchup file for the verti-rack if you'd like one of your own.
Oh and thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.