PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
According to the story that I know, Alfred was already doing blasting tests in mid-1914 with Algerian briar, working together with the London Sandblasting Company. So it's not unlikely that another company was using in 1917.
My point is: the patent is an official record, which in the end, is what matters to historical facts.
But that's not so important.
Thanks!

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I've been polishing pipes for decades and I've never gotten one to look like those. They look like they have a layer of glass applied over them. Simply beautiful.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Your devotion to the brand shines through. I'm glad these superb traditional pipes landed with you for the restoration and care they deserve. I'm no Dunhill guy, but I readily appreciate your amazing stable.

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
Your devotion to the brand shines through. I'm glad these superb traditional pipes landed with you for the restoration and care they deserve. I'm no Dunhill guy, but I readily appreciate your amazing stable.
Very kind of you, thank you for this!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Excellent refurb of your Dunhill set. The pipes don't appeal to me as I prefer bent pipes but I can appreciate the work nonetheless.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I'm afraid I'm going to be the dissenter, here.
Unless it's the lighting, the stummels' color looks blotchy, which is definitely not what the Bruyere finish looked like at any time. (The shade morphed from a deep plum to a more reddish tone over the decades, but the color saturation/intensity/whatever-you-want-to-call-it has always been even and consistent).
Did you polish them on a 3600 rpm jeweler's buffer? (one of those shoebox-sized machines where the shaft comes to a threaded point on each end) If so, that would cause the color mottling.
Also, their glassy appearance looks both odd and historically wrong. If that's just shined wax and a heavy hand on the "clarity" edit function when you processed the photos, never mind. If it if some sort of glossy clear coat add-on finish, though, I would strongly recommend you stop using it on historically significant collectibles.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, I'd love to see the last photo, the one I've popped in below, at the settings as it came out of the camera. I asked sometime ago about the extra-whiteness of a restored meerschaum, and did not see a reply.
img_20190131_083718_568.jpg

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
I really don't understand the nature of this depreciation.

The first time I appeared here, I had to be the victim of your indelicacy by suggesting that I was not deserved the pipes.

I don't know who elected you to judge or define who should or shouldn't possess any pipe. Now, this?! Really?!

What's your problem with me?
Just to soothe your uncontrollable frustration:
- No, I do not us any brush (I do not agree to use polisher in pipes.). I did by hand with soft cleaning cloth and Paragon Wax.
You're so clever George, why you didn't notice that pictures were be treated to improve the exposure?
img_20190614_150511_737-600x450.jpg

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
Yes, I'd love to see the last photo, the one I've popped in below, at the settings as it came out of the camera. I asked sometime ago about the extra-whiteness of a restored meerschaum, and did not see a reply.
Really?! Okay! What is it: (?!):
screen-shot-2562-06-19-at-234525-600x352.png

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This is becoming surreal. I give up. :lol:
Enjoy working on your pipes, Forciori!

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
I invest too much effort and money to find good pipes. We don't have specialized labor here. So, I buy the best products available and well recommended and, I personally, take care of each pipe with the utmost effort to not mischaracterize it. I work with things much more delicate than a pipe. I know the importance of details. I can assure you that any possible defect (that only the *incredible lord of the pipes* can see) was not caused by me. Anyone who observes the first picture will see that the only thing removed was the dirt.
I have no conditions to guarantee "the purity laws" of the world of the pipes. All my pipes are in excellent condition, as anyone can see, and treated in the best possible way.

There are no oxidization, bruises, burns... They don't even look like they're used. What's missing? I dare say that hardly any pipe show up here in these conditions.

Again, what is the problem? What is the problem with this set? Even White Spot sent me parts at no cost to restore them. What's the point? It's a set of almost 100 years. It's impossible for him to be perfect. I don't understand and I won't try. I give up. Thank you all. Especially for those who treated me with respect. See you around.

Status
Not open for further replies.