PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Found these recently... I think the Prestige mix is an older version of THIS, but can't find anything about Blend 11. Anyone have any info?

The Prestige is crispy but intact and the 11 feels fresh as any pouch bought today might.

zW0SKSmh.jpg

ARuMwGah.jpg

May 31, 2012
Very interesting stuff.
Sorry I can't be of much help.
Of particular note is how the Blend 11 says "pouch made in Denmark - tobacco made in USA",

intriguing.
The House of Edgeworth ceased in 1974 I think?
The Richmond History Center has a pouch of it in their collection:

http://collections.richmondhistorycenter.com/detail.php?t=objects&type=browse&f=MATERIALS&s=paper%2C+ink%2C&record=265
There was also an aromatic version:
72386049_specimen_1_image_2.jpg

Hope someone can help here.
Congrats on the cool find!

:puffy:

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
I guess Denmark cornered the wholesale empty pouch market... was an interesting bit of info to put on there.

Will update the thread once I get around to sampling them. The Prestige smells a bit fruit topped and like it's been in an attic for a while...

Thanks for the response Troy!

May 31, 2012
Damn,

TR was harsh on Blend Eleven!
Perhaps they were smoking the aromatic version?
Larus Bros. made some damn fine baccy,

oh,

just noticed the reviews are for the Lane Ltd. version.

May 31, 2012
Bonehed,

Blend 11 looks like it was registered in 1971,

so your pouch, since it is House of Edgeworth, was most likely made between 1971 and 1974 I'd reckon?
An old advertisement:
IbJ9rA5.png

May 31, 2012
Lane Limited manufactured pipe-tobaccos (most notably Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed)under the House of Edgeworth brand name. Perhaps Blend Eleven was also one of their products?
Larus Brothers as House of Edgeworth was an active manufacturer in Richmond Virginia until they shuttered their doors in 1974????

Scratch that,

Larus gave up the ghost in 1968,

they were bought by Rothmans...

http://www.vahistorical.org/collections-and-resources/how-we-can-help-your-research/researcher-resources/finding-aids/larus
On June 10, 1968, Larus & Brother Company was dissolved and a new corporation, Larus Investing Company, established as a holding company for three subsidiaries: WRVA-Radio, WRVA-FM, and the tobacco subsidiary, Larus & Brother Company. At this time, WRVA-TV was sold to the Jefferson Standard Broadcasting Company of Charlotte, N.C. On October 18, 1968, the tobacco subsidiary, Larus & Brother Company, was sold to Rothman’s of Canada, Limited, and the following year, WRVA-Radio and WRVA-FM were sold to the Southern Broadcasting Company of Winston-Salem, N.C. Larus Investing was then dissolved. Rothman’s continued tobacco operations in Richmond under the name House of Edgeworth until 1974, when the company was closed.
When did Lane take the reins?
I'm out of my element with the American stuff,

really I have no idea!

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
Don't know for certain, but I suspect these came to Tucker sometime after 1983. We actually still make Blend 11 for export. I want to say BAT owns the brand names now.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I smoked Blend Eleven back in the 70's. In short is was horrible. Burned very hot in the pipe. The aroma in the pouch was decent but that's where it ended.

I never had the Prestige Mixture but know it's from Douwe Egberts would be enough to keep me away.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Thanks everyone for the replies! Guess I should have spelled out 'eleven' when searching tobaccoreviews...

Now I really have to try them!

timpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Australia
I have tried blend 11 from an old pouch brought to a club meeting.

It's Cavendish style blend similar to one of the lane offerings like LL-7 1Q or RLP-6 or Sutliff 1-M

The bowl I tried had lost a lot of its flavour due to age though.
Nothing worth missing as others I have mentioned are better.

However I love the old style pouch art !!!
There is one I would love to try again from Douwe Egberts called Irish mead.

That had a rather unique taste and aroma.
il_570xN.660662334_2bwa.jpg

https://industrydocuments.library.ucsf.edu/tobacco/docs/#id=kqgv0015
-Tim

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Sutliff has made a Blend Eleven Match, which I reviewed here: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9384/sutliff-tobacco-company-match-lanes-blend-11#review75654

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Blend 11 sounds as if it would be tasty, but the reviews are unforgiving. Apparently the leaf used wasn't so good, or the Cavendish was mediocre, to get so many single star reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.