PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I picked up this pipe from Michael Parks. He calls it a bulldog.
The interesting thing is that the top of the shank is diamond shaped while the bottom is rounded.
So what is it: A bulldog or a rhodesian?
I will count up the votes in one week's time and I will go with the majority.
I apologize for the glare on the pics - the pipe is so shiny it is really hard to photograph.
xE7v4mo.jpg

uf3hfWE.jpg

4OPOzTb.jpg

tipBchG.jpg

5CMRPaL.jpg

OUCXdSl.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
Although, the shank isn't (in geometric terms) diamond shaped, because the bottom is rounded.
Just to stir the pot.

May 4, 2015
First instinct was Rhodesian before I started to overthink it. It's obviously ambiguous on purpose, so why try to label it, though?
Call it what you will, but it's one of the most wonderfully beautiful pipes I've seen.

Mar 1, 2014
If that's a Bulldog it's the ugliest Bulldog I've ever seen.
The carver should get the strap and be sat in the corner with a shape chart for an afternoon.

Jan 8, 2013
Sweet crackers and cheese, that's a beautiful pipe! I can understand some wanting to call it a bulldog, because of the diamond shank. And if the carver calls it a bulldog, he is the artist and that is his interpretation of a bulldog. However, in my opinion it is only the top half of the shank that is diamond shanked. The bottom and rest of the pipe is rounded. Because of this and the way the curves flow on this pipe, upon first look my instinct would be to call it a rhodesian.

Bulldogs are a broad category or family of shapes, like Dublins. But, then you have subcategories like Zulus. However, a Zulu is still a Dublin, and wouldn't be wrong to call it so, or call it either one. A Rhodesian is a subcatagory of the broader Bulldogs family. So yes, it is a bulldog... a Rhodesian bulldog. :puffy:

May 4, 2015
It's fair to say that this "Michael" fellow has made a pipe or two before this one.
Squares and rectangles, Cosmic.

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
I vote Rhodog if the Cajun camp will have me. And this:
Call it what you will, but it's one of the most wonderfully beautiful pipes I've seen.
I also find beauty in its ability to serve its purpose for stirring pots.

Status
Not open for further replies.