PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
If Michael Parks calls the pipe he made a "Bulldog", then it is a "Bulldog". The maker has the right to name his creation as he will. Man is man, woman is woman!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Duane's pipe gives new meaning to "fishtail"!
And: What grain!
Sadly not one of mine, but an attempt to further show the hybridization of modern shapes. Lovely piece though.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"A Bulldog or a Rhodesian - You Tell Me"
Bulldog:
ab620d73-04db-3ae3-bdce-32dda3d30701

Rhodesian:
th

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It just occurred to me, obtuse as I am, that the rounded underside of the shank is more than just an aesthetic departure from the standard diamond shape. It also serves to stabilize a pipe when it's docked in a typical pipe stand.

I've found that pipes with diamond shanks tip onto their sides rather easily with these style stands:

pipe-stand-1.jpg
pipe-stand-2.jpg

The "bucket seats" below provide the standard diamond shank with more support against rotation:

001-069-0218.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm voting dog. I appreciate the shank isn't a perfect square/diamond, but it has clear edges. That's a master worke of a pipe. Down the hierarchy a ways, but presenting a similar problem, is the Sav 673, at least in the Opera version. The edges are more rounded, although still giving the shank distinct edges. I think it was labeled by Sav as a bulldog, and Iwan Ries went along. But it is much more arguable than this pipe. But I vote dog for this one, and I'll go along with dog for the Sav.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Rhodesian is technically a sub-category of the Bulldog. So I would be tempted to lean towards a "triangle shanked bulldog." The rings around the bowl and the diamond top of the shank scream bulldog, but the shank variation must be accounted.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Beautiful. What it is, is beautiful.
Bent bulldog is my favorite shape -- half my pipes. I'd add this to that rack ANY day.

Status
Not open for further replies.