PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
I saw today elsewhere on the internet a Bewlay Emerald shape 5299 a canted dublin with saddle stem corresponding with a Barling of the same number and style. ( I think it was 5299). Then when I got home I smoked a Londoner bent billiard shape 160 which I realised had the same shape number as a Bewlay bent billiard.

owen

May 28, 2014
image16-600x450.jpg
Bewlay Extra

vlodko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2013
Ukraine
Please accept my humble input into the thread. This is the Charatan's (the 489 shape) Bewlay Extra Reject pipe made in 1960s.
img-5613_1_orig.jpg

img-5604_1_orig.jpg

img-5606_1_orig.jpg

img-5607_1_orig.jpg

img-5648_3_orig.jpg

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Wonderful thread, great pictures too. Thank you all.

How about this one ? Could it be Barling made, since it is a "quaint" ?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Vintage-Bewlay-034-Quaint-034-Pipe-/172541386688?hash=item282c449fc0%3Ag%3AmkcAAOSw3v5Yq074&nma=true&si=hkaEQiAG%252BM%252Fv5xwkw46DTRX42Oc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Cheers .

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Maybe, but it could also be one of Mr. Huybrechts as he also made quaints and pipes for Bewlay.

owen

May 28, 2014
Maybe someone will identify the maker from the shape a lot of the more unorthodox shaped Bewlays I have seen have given clues to their origin, like the Bewlay/Charatan earlier in the thread.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Orlando, nothing obsure with Mr Huybrecht.Most of his production were sold to tobacconists and stamped with the

shops name.His own brands were London Castle and Dulwich.

I bought a few pipes from him in the 90ties and my wife and I visited him at his office 7 th.jan.1997.
Owen, when Mr.Huybrecht passed away Michael Billington at Blakemar Briars took over the stock of bowls etc.

Among that some stamps of which one is: Bewlay/ QUAINT
Jørgen,Danmark

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Good morning,how did you know it is morning here!
In 1994 I got a copy of a letter Mr. H. had sent to the Swedish Pipe Club as Jan Andersson knew, that my interest

is English pipes.

Then I wrote to Mr.H. and he sent me more material.Great post is was,photos,drawings and shapelists,grades......

which I have been keeping.

I bought 3+3+2 pipes in 1994,2 in 1995 and 2 in 1997 from him.
In Jan. 1997 my wife and I went to London for a short visit. As the tobacconists in the citycenter was fast overlooked ( not as in 1976) I said: Why not visit Mr.H. and went by train to West Norwood.

Up on the street from the station,where to go ? To the left I said and after 100 m to the right,and then

St. Julians Farm Road.........and the wife said: When its about pipes,you can find out of everything

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Because we virtually live in the same time zone Jorgen; I'm located in the Netherlands .
You lucky Danish (bull)dog: back in the seventies I was probably too young to really appreciate it ,which I deeply regret now.

Story and deepening come with age.

Now most of it is gone :cry:
Fascinating story : can you post pictures of your Huybrecht pipes ? We'd really like to see them...
My brother lives in Gilleleje Danmark and is my foreign "pipe correspondent "
He just recently purchased a handfull of Laeso pipes on a veteraentref in Graested . Talking obscure !! They are not Anne Julie seconds .
If you can enlighten me, I'll buy you a beer next time I go visit him, which will be this summer !
Jan Andersson sent me a copy of the SPC magazine, but my Swedish is next to nothing.
About Dulwich pipes :
https://rebornpipes.com/2016/03/13/a-rare-find-a-pair-of-fieldcraft-dulwich-quaints/

docwrite

Lurker
Oct 25, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
In the early 70s, whilst poking about a second hand shop, as I am wont to do, I came across a nice, walnut 6 pipe straight rack, in great shape. It had 4 pipes in it, all looking horrible. I bought the rack for $2.50, and she threw in the pipes, which was fine with me, as I'd already found a couple of gems in this fashion. One of the pipes was a straight billiard, which, reamed, degunked, cleaned up and hand buffed, turned out to be a beautiful pipe, very close to a fine straight grain designation. Unfortunately, the company nomenclature was all but worn off, (not by me). It had a capital 'B', something, something, possibly the upstroke of a 'b' or 'd' or, more likely an 'l', something-possibly an 'a', and a 'y', (or a 'g') in script. I give you all this, because it was all I had until 1997 and the "InterWeb". On the other side was "London Made" in plain upper case, followed by a large 2 in a circle. I couldn't make out even a dent on the stem, so no help there. It had a metal tenon, which suggested it could use filters, which I had never used, so might only help in identification.

It quickly became one of my favourite smokers, and continues to be in my regular rotation, but it stumped everyone to whom I thought to show it; tobacconists, pipe people, my custom blending customers, in Vancouver and the Bay Area--Santa Cruz, San Jose, Palo Alto, San Francisco, Berkeley, etc., including the Faculty, Students and Staff at Cal Berkeley, and UC Santa Cruz, along with many trips to various wine areas. This is not to say that I carried it with me at all times with a jeweller's loupe and showed it to everyone I met, but I always had at least one pipe with me, and I'm seldom without a loupe or a very strong magnifying glass, so it was with me fairly often, and those who did see it got a good look. I also was building a pretty good pipes and tobaccos library.

Even asking, more than once at ASP, (alt.smokers.pipes), when it became available, yielded nothing. It wasn't until one day perusing one of the lesser travelled areas of Smokers Forum that I saw someone asking a question about his Bewlay, which was one of the names on the list I'd deciphered over the years, and I was gobsmacked--the first time I'd seen the name other than on my own list.

To my consternation, even though I was sure I had the name, no one seemed to have any solid information. I asked, searched and dug, finding a rumour here and a theory there...it was a very good thing that I loved that pipe.

And I still love it. And I'm still learning little bits here and there, although, I believe I have most of the story, thanks to folks like you.

If any of you have stuck with me to this point, I thank you all. Tell the others, please.

Sorry, my pipe pictures are on another hard drive which is unavailable at the moment.

BTW--although I've gotten some lovely, (and a couple of very expensive), pipes tossed in, (rather than out), with rack purchases, there was another London made mystery gem amongst those four ugly pipes in that rack with the Bewlay. It also gets smoked regularly in my rotation. I'll tell you about it sometime.

--doc--

docwrite

Lurker
Oct 25, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Almost all of my pipe photos are on the hard drive of a tower desktop that died. If I can't get it running again, I'll have to put it in an older tower as I'm using a fairly old laptop now. The rest are on a Kindle Fire, (a gift), that stopped connecting to WiFi a week before it was a year old, but Amazon tech has absolutely no interest in it, or replacing it, and there's no other way to connect it to anything. There are 6 months of book notes on it a well, which should be backed up, but even though I paid for the fairly useless notes app, (only apps sold by Amazon will work on it), I apparently need to re-licence it every few months, which I can't do because it's decided to get stuck on "Turning on WiFi...".

Sorry, just a touch frustrated with it all.

My brother borrowed my digital camera, and I wasn't worried about it as I have my SLRs and the 'Fire' for poor quality but recognisable digital pictures. I can still take them, I just can't get them out of the ******* tablet.

It's just a nice looking billiard. I'd have to set the lighting perfectly to catch what there is of the nomenclature, well, the Bewlay side, anyway. The London Made and circled '2' side is pretty clear.

Arrrgghhhh...

That order from 4noggins can't get here soon enough. Been out of tobacco for months. I think I'm not hiding that too well anymore.

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jason_mazzy/media/pipe/20170731_223738_zpsqkupi0n6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jason_mazzy/media/pipe/20170731_223738_zpsqkupi0n6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

I don't know how to make it show a photo. I have edited this 4 times so far.
I am assuming it was made by orlik. it has a stinger *tapered with a ball on the end) which I forgot to take a picture of.
The description is london made followed by a 0 to the side then underneath the 258 nomenclature. its a prince. Can anyone confirm this pipe for me. I've had it for years and never smoked it. sanitized the stem today and was going to give it a light but wanted to research it first and I found this article. Great info from all you hard workers.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@jasonmazzy - Photobucket is blocking your pictures from being used on a forum. Most of us have ditched Photobucket for Postimage, etc.

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
weird, it works on my other forums (non pipe related). I will look into other hosting sites. Has anyone clicked the link and seen my bewlay?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No, and don't be surprised when other sites can't show pissbucket images anyway.
You can use this site's album, too.
Images can be full sized if you remove the pixel limitation, -600x360)— the numbers and the dash preceding, leaving no spaces, and ending in .jpg
1.) Login

2.) Go to My Account (may have hit Home button first) and mouse down to Album.

3.) Choose Upload Picture (navigate to photo you've given a sensible name to), be sure to then hit Upload.

4.) Go back to Album, click on thumbnail to open full size image. Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and select "copy image location" (its URL).

5.) Return to your reply window in the thread and click on the IMG button at the top of the compose window.

7.) Paste the image location into the window and click OK. (You can paste over the existing http://)
An example, of a thumbnail named "hms-penzance-1940" followed by -150x100.jpg is the name of the photo in my album, and the the -150x100 limits the size.

hms-penzance-1940-150x100.jpg

If I remove the numbers, it goes to whatever size at which it was uploaded, subject to web sized image limitations.
hms-penzance-1940.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.