PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Gentle folk,

I took a shine to a pretty little pipe on an internet auction site just the other day sold as a Benton Manchester 4179. On reciept of the pipe I noticed it said Barlings Make on the bottom along with Benton Manchester and 4179. I would greatly appreciate some help with the following questions please:
Is it a Barling second or is Bentons maybe the retailer?
I guess the stem is a replacement as there are are no markings on it and while it fits very well the top view photograph does not look right. Am I correct?
Has the rim been reworked as it does not look quite right, is it so?
thanks in advance.

Owen
p1010931-600x450.jpg

p10109331-600x450.jpg

p10109321-600x450.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Owen:
According to Jose Manuel Lopes in his book titled "Pipes - Artisans and Trademarks" Benton is a, "North American brand, but made in Europe. Ebonite stems." Given this, and the "Barling's Make" stamp, I believe that this pipe was manufactured for Benton by Barling.
As for the stem, it may well have been replaced; I cannot tell from the images. Concerning the rim, it appears to me as though the overall height of the bowl might have been shortened, and then the rim rusticated in an attempt to match it to the rest of the pipe.
I hope that this information and opinions are helpful.
Good Luck, and Good Smoking!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Very cool. The first picture is very hard to make out. It is not a second. I would think the Benton Manchester would refer to a tobacconist in Manchester UK. The other thing, is the arched Barling's Make and the four digit number 4179, which would narrow the dating down to late 1961, early 1962(see the pipedia article for the full story on that). I agree, the stem, from the pictures, its shape and profile, looks like a Barling's stem. The markings can be very easily buffed off. The pipe is a sandblast, but the rim does look like someone may have done some homemade rustication. If the pipe was topped, it would just have been better to leave the rim smooth!
sablebrush52 may have more.
I'd say you did very well, I know I'd be happy!
Dave

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Hi Owen,
This is a Barling from after the Family Era (1962) and the shape, #4179, indicates it as a large billiard with a longer saddle stem. Large might ~Dunhill group 4-5 size.
It was common for stores to stamp their name on pipes and many Barlings are so marked.
I can't see your shot as clearly as I'd like but it does look as if the rim was shaved and re-stained. From your side view the pipe looks more like a pot than the billiard that it was when it was made.
If you can post better lit pictures (where I can see the nuance in the nomenclature) I can tell you more about this pipe. If you can include a (clear) picture of the end of the stem (smoke hole) I can tell you more about the stem as well.
Enjoy the pipe.
Pete

owen

May 28, 2014
Thanks guys,

Here are some further photographs and I tip my hat to you knowledge, enthusiasm and helpfulness even if all I am bringing to this detective mystery is the corpse.

owen
p1010944-600x450.jpg

p1010943-600x450.jpg

p1010942-600x450.jpg

p1010941-600x450.jpg

p1010940-600x450.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Owen, I think you found yourself a nice pipe there. coalsmoke's post pretty much spells it out. Give it a clean up, and I think you will find a very good smoking pipe. The slot looks correct, the other thing to look for, is the stems on these pipes often had the Barling Design stamp on the bottom of the saddle, although it may have alo been buffed off.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Hi Owen,
Great pictures. Looks like the stamper had the shakes that day.
The pipe is from 1960-62 as Coalsmoke posted. Bowl and stem are hand made.
The bowl rim has been trimmed. Looks like it was filed and then an attempt to carve a pattern on top of that. You lost perhaps ~3/16".
Nice find and please let us know how it smokes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I love being quoted, keeps me humble. This is a Barling, absolutely! Not a second. No second ever had "Barling's Make" stamped on it. Benton was the dealership and they were located in Manchester, England. It was stamped in 1962, part of that subset that I wrote about in Pipedia. The stem is a Barling stem. That it lacks nomenclature isn't a surprise. This pipe has had many brushes with a buffer, and the stem stamp was very delicate. It's been topped, with a crude attempt to emulate the original sandblasted rim. Clean it thoroughly and enjoy one of the best pipes ever to come out of England.

owen

May 28, 2014
Wow thanks gents,

I expected a quick response but never such a detailed and well informed one. It is as always worth asking the question as the answer always surprises. One of the pleasures as you know of buying pipes is the fun to be had researching, learning and contemplating.

Owen

Status
Not open for further replies.