PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A friend made it known that he wanted to try Germain's Balkan Sobranie just to experience what all the hubbub was about. I offered him a tin and he let me know that a tin was too much. He just wanted a sample. Well all I have are tins as I don't like Germain's version, but I opened a tin to send him a sample.
I figured that as long as I had the opened tin I might as well give it another try since it's been over four years since I last tried it. Maybe the blend has improved. Maybe I will like it this time. Maybe sheep will sing at the Metropolitan Opera.
I couldn't finish the bowl. There's no point in jarring it as I will never smoke it. So I have this opened tin. So many have wanted to experience Germain's Balkan Sobranie that I've decided to divvy up the remainder and send it to the first 4 of you who contact me via PM. That should allow you to have a couple of bowls of it. This is for those of you who have not smoked it. You have my sympathies.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I have to admit I do look to see if BS and Penzance et al are available, as I have not tried them. I have never tried buffalo fries either. I saw some reasonably high priced Esoterica and thought for a minute or so. I would have bought at MSRP, but there are a lot of darned fine tobaccos, many vintage, that can be had for the same price per pound. I think I prefer to be clueless on this.

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
Pm sent. I would love to try a sample and see what all the hype is about.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Just reminds me of the guys trying to get me to go to the titty bars with them. Everyone makes an ass out of themselves and asks why I am not having a good time.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Sable:
As the "friend" noted in your original post am I to understand that you don't want to read my tasting notes and followup review?
I'm hurt.
Fnord

Oct 7, 2016
There has been some discussion on a thread or two in this forum that Germain substantially changed the blend and what is currently shipping is much better. There was some discernible change in the tin design that supposedly correlates with the changed recipe.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There has been some discussion on a thread or two in this forum that Germain substantially changed the blend and what is currently shipping is much better. There was some discernible change in the tin design that supposedly correlates with the changed recipe.
The only change to the tin that I've seen is a change to the manufacturer's sticker on the underside of the tin. As I wrote at the beginning, having heard that Germain's had supposedly improved the product I opened a recent tin. I could no more finish a bowl of this stuff than I could five years ago. It doesn't taste like the Balkan Sobranie I enjoyed in the 1970's and '80's. Not hardly, not even close. But others may like what I loathe, so I've send out the rest of the tin to those who want to try it.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Got my envelope today Sable, in the neatly sealed Mylar bag, those really were odorless. Thanks for the generous sample, I've got it going in my 320 right now and I'm not sure what to think about it yet. First few puffs stunk, but it's getting sweeter, may smoke a few bowls before I give a verdict.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Got my envelope today Sable, in the neatly sealed Mylar bag, those really were odorless. Thanks for the generous sample, I've got it going in my 320 right now and I'm not sure what to think about it yet. First few puffs stunk, but it's getting sweeter, may smoke a few bowls before I give a verdict.
Glad that you received your sample. I hope that you enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.