PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Yesterday, a notification popped up on Facebook telling me that Bayou Tobacco in Baton Rouge had updated their phone number. Weird since Sarah closed the store and was planning to move to Mississippi.
I sent them a message and asked if they were re-opening. The reply was:
"Not yet, should have new store open in the next few weeks."
I used to make a trip up there at least once a month when our oldest son was living in Baton Rouge. I always liked it because they carried a different variety of tinned tobacco than the B&M I go to in the New Orleans area. More importantly, there always seemed to be three or four pipe smokers sitting in there smoking when I stopped in. Glad to see the shop re-opening.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
What a breath of fresh air! A tobacco shop re-opening! Gotta love it!
I always liked Baton Rouge. On occasion I've referred to it as, "Ann Arbor, Louisiana." :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Reopening of a pipe/tobacco shop is pretty rare. I can't think of an example offhand, though I'm sure it's happened. I grew up in a near-NW suburb of Chicago that had an upscale pipe shop (Park Ridge Pipe Shop) near the commuter rail line. It was open for about twenty or thirty years but then closed forever. I'm holding my breath for my local Raleigh N.C. shop, Pipes by George; George is steadfast but may want to retire at some point, and I'm not sure anyone, family or buyer, could fill his shoes. Especially now the pipe shop business is a tricky proposal.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Along the same lines, the Pipe and Pint in Greensboro NC is expanding to an additional location in Winston-Salem. Shorter drive for me and I'm a big fan of their shop so I couldn't be happier. Wonderful guys that run that place and I'm always impressed by the pipe and tobacco selection they have on hand. It's easy to get all doom and gloom with the constant national and international attacks on tobacco but sometimes it doesn't seem so bad.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I went to school in Greensboro, before Pipe and Pint I think, and trained for a (what was then called) Veterans Administration job in Winston Salem, so I'm most glad they each now have an authentic pipe and tobacco outlet with a tap room attached. Things are looking up in my old haunts.

Status
Not open for further replies.