PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Odd to think that a person born the day this occurred becomes legally an adult today. It still seems to me like it just happened.

Reactions: ron123

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
WE WILL NEVER FORGET
4C73bVM.jpg

Reactions: oldtoby and dmcmtk

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That was the first big event in my generation.
Ditto. Growing up we always heard about the big events of the 20th century from folks who were there and alive in that corner of time in the world. 9/11 is definitely the one that sticks out for me during my lifetime so far.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Something woke me up predawn, and I was in the midst of battle, thrashing and throwing punches. Never happened to me before or since. In the morning, I was at work and our intern came in from a workroom to report a plane had hit a tower in NYC. I was still sleepy from my pre-dawn battle. We all gathered and saw the second plane hit. A colleague walking through the workroom with the TV said: "Now we know terrorists can fly planes."

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Still incredibly vivid and upsetting to me. I had the day off, and was washing my car in the garage, radio tuned to 98 Rock, a Baltimore station who started reporting it. After listening for 15 minutes or so, I decided to go inside and turn the TV.

I had a restaurant outside the main gate at Fort Detrick, MD, an Army research facility that was rumored to be a possible target for Flight 93, we all know how that turned out. I called the Maryland State Police to ask if I could travel to the store via (30 miles South). They advised me to stay put, which was nerve racking.

I had another restaurant in the Alexander Hamilton Travel Plaza on the New Jersey Turnpike. Directly across, from the Manhattan Skyline. You could clearly see the twin towers from their dining room window. I'll never forget the first time there and not seeing those towers. Years later, staring out that same window, a truck driver having dinner said "still makes me angry". Guess he could read my body language.

We had our flags at half-staff today, but I saw plenty of places that didn't. Sad.

Reactions: oldtoby and ron123

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
My wife still has a rough time with it. She was still living in New York then - working for Columbia University up on 175th street.
They heard the reports of the first plane, and all headed out to a balcony looking south and literally watched the second plane.
She lived on Broadway and 75th, and had to walk home from work. The chaos wasn’t limited to downtown, the city was a shambles, like the soul was ripped out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.