PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Warning! I can't taste flavors like others, so don't rely on my reviews.
Rougaroux: The Rouxgaroux! The Cajun Werewolf. It prowls the sugar cane fields outside New Orleans looking for it's next victim.
Watch City's "Rouxgaroux" is based upon a bed of our "Simply Red" and a Matured Red Virginia. Rouxgaroux is an indulgent melange of flavors of stewed fig and plum. spiced with a generous amount of Perique along with some stoved Virginia and a bit of Bright Virginia for a unique floral note that drifts in and out through the bowl.
The first bowl, a few days ago was stronger than I prefer, but the second bowl today was much better. I enjoyed this blend, because I could catch different flavors. Actually it was very enjoyable. The weather station said it was 25 degrees and dropping shortly. I rarely retreat my unheated, but insulated garage at 7:00 am, but the temperature is going to drop soon and I had already cleared the snow off my wife vehicle and then cleared my daughter's car.
Old Dominion: Old Dominion is a simple yet complex tasting "Crumble Flake" (A mixture of cut leaf with some whole leaf added, pressed and sliced thick) of red, matured and bright Virginia varieties with a dose of Perique. Pressed for two weeks to bring out the natural sweetness.
I enjoyed this flake. It certainly fit into my strength standard, ie not too strong. I am attracted to Vapers. I need to try this blend in one of my cobs from Old Dominion Pipes. This will be in my rotation often.
Stubb's Pipe: In Moby Dick, The Pequod's second mate, Stubb, is a pipe-smoking Cape-Cod man, good tempered and "neither craven or valiant." A perfect description for this blend of our Crumb Cut Burley, light, sweet Carolina Flake, and just a touch of Virginia and Green River black. A very light unique aromatic is used and carried by a small measure of ship's rum. Delicious, cool, naturally fragrant and mild.
This is my favorite. I could taste the sweetness. It is a light aromatic, but I could also enjoy the tobacco flavors.

Reactions: dcon and danimalia

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I jumped on Rouxgaroux and grabbed three ounces before it went out of stock, great stuff. I got 3 of that one and 4 oz of Terrapin Station, and honestly, Watch City has new fan. They're easy to dry out, easy to pack, and easy to smoke. I've smoked a few bowls of each, and Terrapin is my favorite out of the two (thank god) so I'm planning on ordering a pound of that and jarring up the rest of my Rouxgaroux to see how it ages.

Reactions: dcon and danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I missed out on Rouxgaroux, but hopefully it will come back in stock. Haven't had Old Dominion, but I really like Flake #558, which they say is similar to Old Dominion but adds some stoved VAs. Probably my favorite VA-based blend at the moment.

Reactions: Mark 0092
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Rouxgaroux is superb. Va dominant with the perique being more sweet, fig taste that pepper. If you like more pepper, go with Old Dominion. I've not had the pleasure of trying Stubb's Pipe. Rhythm & Blues is my favorite WCC blend. Anyone missing McClelland 5100 should catch some Simply Red. Deluxe Crumb Cut and Persian Slipper are also excellent and something I smoke somewhat regularly.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I smoked two bowls of Rouxgaroux. Then bagged the rest up. I’ll let it settle for a while.

it doesn’t really compare to anything that’s out there, IMO. On the initial draw there’s a somewhat smoky, dark, woody, slight peppery character that quickly evolves into a very sweet dark fruit and molasses and fig flavor. The retrohale gives a hint of pepper and sweet molasses note.

A very good tobacco...

Status
Not open for further replies.