PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
So I decided to make another Oak pipe...
It has a 1" x 1 1/4" tobacco chamber and the bit/stem screws on to the end of the metal ring.
Cheroot%20pipe%203-s.jpg

Cheroot%20pipe%204-s.jpg

Cheroot%20pipe%205-s.jpg

Cheroot%20pipe%206-s.jpg

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
I enjoy the paneling on this one, it seems to fit the unfinished oak quite well. Non-briar wooden pipes have always interested me, I hope this one brings you many a happy smoke!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
1 x 1 1/4? Good God, that's a monster! I like the design, but I don't know if I could smoke that much in one sitting. Are you making these to sell, or just for your personal use?

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I'm really finding your explorations in alternate materials for pipe-making fascinating. :puffy:

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
Cheroot%20pipe%207-s.jpg

All finished up and smokes good...
@ aldecaker, so far just making them for my use...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most intriguing. How is the weight-for-size? In addition to briars and cobs, I have several Mountain Laurel pipes and a Cocobolo, all by Jerry Perry of Colfax, N.C. He also works in maple, and I may look into one of those at the pipe show next month, if I make it. It is difficult to match briar as a material, but Mountain Laurel is good-smoking and durable. Note: Jerry Perry only sells at the N.C. State Fair Village of Yesteryear and the TAPS pipe show at the Fairgrounds in April, but not online at all. "If I sold online, I'd spend all my time taking pictures and not making pipes," Jerry says. He's an independent guy and his direct sales match his output, I think. He's content.
Oak is an interesting alternative. Not easy wood to carve, but if it smokes well, it's an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.