1997 Peterson Special Edition Got Damaged.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
The pipe was on a pipe rack on a bookshelf about 6 feet high. Behind the rack, resting on the same shelf, was a framed pencil drawing by my brother in law.
An unusually strong gust of wind knocked the drawing down, which in turn knocked the rack down.

The pipe fell six feet and both the rack and the drawing fell on it.
I guess the pipe gods are not happy with me.

Maybe I got too many pipes lately and I'm not smoking them all as often as I should...
F@CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm already in touch with John at Peterson to see if they can help me.
F#CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
J
2_zpsycy3rzrx.jpg

1_zpsybayfovh.jpg

3_zpsicryixyo.jpg

4_zpste7tyoto.jpg

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Same thing happened to me with my first Rosslare... it took a dive onto a concrete floor. One nice big dent.
Keep calm. Puff away. It's now a beauty mark.
-- Pat

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Contact Tom Palmer at Peterson's. He owns and runs the joint, and goes the extra mile in cases like this.
Tom Palmer

Peterson of Dublin

Peterson House

Sallynoggin

Co. Dublin

IRELAND

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
@GeorgeD, thank you very much!
Should I send him a letter and enclose pictures? I haven't sent a letter since I was in college...
John at Peterson's Shop sent me several emails stating that the best they can do is install a replacement silver band (not gold plated silver) hallmarked for 2016...

I sure hope Mr. Palmer can go the extra mile on this one.
BTW, I just sent you a PM.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
J

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Should I send him a letter and enclose pictures? I haven't sent a letter since I was in college...
Tom's administrative right hand is Angela (or used to be, anyway, I haven't contacted him in a while). Try giving her a call, explain BRIEFLY the situation---that you have a treasured gold pipe in need of factory attention---and ask if she could get an OK from Tom to send it. I expect she will either clear the request herself or have someone from the shop (or Tom himself) contact you.
Tel: +353-1-2851011

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Man I am really sorry. I feel your pain.
"Considering that falls like this usually break the shank in one or more places I think you were very lucky."
Kcghost, that is what precisely what happened to the Mastro De Pajas in my story. Never even got to smoke it. :oops:

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Against a good friend's recommendation, I was going to smoke this pipe regardless of how valuable it could become in the future.
I was saving it for the day my firstborn (Simon or Elijah, we'll see) arrives in this world, sometime around May 25th.
Now I don't feel like smoking it. I don't even feel like looking at it.
I really hope that following Georged's advice I can get it fixed.
I feel very sad right now.
@Georged, thank you very much. I sincerely appreciate it.
J

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
That should be an easy fix, I'm surprised it didn't crack or break into a few pieces.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Very bad luck, my friend. Hopefully George's info will produce results. Maybe it will even get back in time for the big event because that is something worth celebrating. That Pete certainly has an interesting history. This is just another chapter. You'll have a great story to tell the grandkids one day! That doesn't help much now but who knows what doors it may open. Dutch

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Peterson(Angela) has always been very responsive to my emails. Keep us posted. You might also want to get the advise of member "cosmicfolklore". He is a jewelry artist and might be able to offer advice on a repair.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Well, Tom Palmer said, or rather he relayed the message through John at the Shop, that all they can do for my pipe is to replace the band for a new silver band. Not even a gold plated silver band like the original one, but a plain silver band hallmarked 2016.
Maybe I thought my pipe was a lot rarer than it really is...
Maybe I thought that stupid collectors, like us, helped make Petersons so desirable, allowing them to raise prices and improve margins...
Maybe it is time to move on and start collecting something different, something new.
Watch for my posts. A lot of nice Pete's are going to be up for sale pretty soon.
Cheers,
J

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
UPDATE
After sending a final and not very nice email to Peterson I was contacted by Tony Wheland, their factory manager, saying that he had checked the stocks and found some gold plated silver bands and they could repair my pipe.
Unfortunately, after the repeated negatives regarding the possibility of a repair using such a band, I had sent the pipe to my family's jewelers who claim they can make the original band as good as new.

We'll see...
If the jewelers don't come through, I asked Tony to hold a gold plated band for a few days in case I have to eventually send the pipe in.
In the end Peterson, through Tony Wheland, came through and upheld its reputation.

I just wish they had done so earlier, before 10 emails and 5 negatives regarding the gold plated bands.

It would have saved me money and precious time.
I'll keep you guys posted.
This pipe has most certainly developed into an interesting story in the very short time elapsed since I got it.
Cheers,
J

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
A few months ago, I shared a photo of my great grandfather, who was an artist, drawing while smoking a cob. One of his pieces was a painting of my great grandmother. It has a damaged frame, so to keep it safe, my wife placed it on a shelf. A gust of wind blew it off the shelf. As it fell, it also knocked off a ceramic fish. The fish landed upright in a soft chair. The painting landed on top of the fish, with the point of its dorsal fin sticking through the center of great grandma's forehead.

Regarding the pipe, I'm curious if the Cumberland stem is original. I found this thread looking for photos of the 1997 Special Edition pipes. I just acquired the very first, #1 of 1000, of this series. Its stem is original, but is black Ebonite with a gold "P". The Cumberland looks great!

Reactions: jpberg
Status
Not open for further replies.