PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
So the pipe that almost got away due to my ebay being hacked arrived yesterday. I am halfway through a bowl of 2012 Solani 633 and the pipe is performing brilliantly. It is smoking cool and dry and is quite comfortable to clench at 52 grams.
Sorry for the lousy pictures but my sons phone camera isn't great. There is some nice birdseye on both sides with cross grain on the back and front of the pipe.
George, if you see this post can you give me your opinion on the shaping of the pipe, you can be brutally honest.

lb11-600x450.jpg

lb21-600x450.jpg

lb31-600x450.jpg

lb7-600x450.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Now Dave, why ruin the man's moment of pleasure? Sure the dingus is topped, enough that it looks more like a pot than a billiard. But why make a point of it being topped? I wouldn't mentioned that Harris' new pipe is topped, even though it is topped. I would never write topped. I might say height impaired, or gelded, or something equally genteel, but topped is not what I would say. :mrgreen:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Now I know why it was so cheap. Next time I bid on a Dunhill, I am checking with George first. At least it smokes great and I did buy it to smoke, not to resell.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It's possible the extra-chunky specimen + the camera's lens distortion converged to make it the bowl look short when it actually isn't.
Bowl height and overall length for Dunhill were amazingly consistent after the 1920's, so a quick measurement of a 1969 pipe should settle the matter.
If the height of the bowl through its vertical centerline is at least 2.0" it almost certainly hasn't been topped. (Measure with calipers or similar. Parallax when trying to do it by eye with a ruler makes accurate measurement difficult)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Geroge,

Your post got me curious, so I looked at a bunch of images of LBs (no, not LBS) and looked at Loring's article on the LB. The shape was very inconsistent during the 1920's, and there continued to be some variations later, though not as extreme. The bowl still looks a bit short, but I dunno. One thing that stood out was that there were no images of an LB with a saddle stem, and I could not find a mention of a saddle stem option in the Dunhill catalogs that I have.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I will try measuring the pipe once I understand how to measure the centerline. I don't know if that means measure inside or outside the pipe.

Here is my 1966 LB with a saddle stem.

dunhill5-600x450.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks George. Now I need to go buy a freaking ruler as I don't own one. I had a tape measure but of course one of my kids borrowed it and didn't put it back in the draw it is supposed to be in. I would measure it against my 66 or even my 67 but both of those are out getting ozone treatments.

Status
Not open for further replies.