PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Unusual shape-

Got a good deal, exterior is excellent with crisp stamps, stem should clean up nicely, only some small tooth wear on the bit itself. This is also stamped as a group 4 pipe, with almost a chimney or stack bowl. The smallest head on my Castleford is to big to safely ream this pipe. I'll probably dig out my Buttner to see if it will work.
Don't know if I'll keep it as it's not really my style.
Doc

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Interesting. From what I have heard and seen, Dunhill was doing some experiments with shapes in the early 1960's. This is a 1963 Dunhill I used to own, shape number 536.
english-blasts-014-600x450.jpg

english-blasts-011-600x450.jpg

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Unusual shape- I'm interested to know the age of this 'Scandinavian Bulldog'. I have not seen one lately but faintly recall seeing one many moons ago.

It may well be an early 60s experiment. I like the Root Briar 536. I think that Charatans were also experimenting with this kind of shape in the 60s with the 'Acorn' and 'Mansell' (named after the street that the factory was in i.e. 22 Mansell Street).

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I really like the 536 too. I have a Charatan 317 that is somewhat similar in the the acorn line.
The Dunhill above is from 1964 and apparently appears in catalogues from 1950 and 1969 according to one internet source.
Doc

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
This is from Chris Keene's website.
http://www.pipepages.com/dpsc8.htm
Note that this is called a 'Scandinavian Bulldog' in the 'Collector Range' in the catalogue. Also note that the catalogue has it as a group 3, but the example in my possession is stamped as a group 4 pipe.
This is an odd pipe for me, and I acquired it as a package deal with a 1968 C35 tanshell (wrong stem was in the pipe, but the proper churchwarden stem was in a box of 'junk'), a pair of dunhill tamper/pick tools, a Dunhill leather tri-fold tobacco pouch, 4 period boxes (one each Tanshell, Bruyere, Shell, and Root) complete with inserts and socks. The C35 has been heavily smoked and will need chamber work to stabilize, but the stem is immaculate other than oxidation and the nomenclature is clean and crisp. The exterior of the bowl is heat darkened above shank, kinda ruining the 'Tanshell' effect.
Doc

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Interesting.
I have a Dunhill that is EXACTLY what you'd get if that "ScanDog" was blended 50/50 with English billiard. It's as if someone liked the size and angles of it, but didn't like the Scandinavian stylistic touches.
To add a smidge of intrigue, my hybrid is also rare. (Never seen another either in person or online, anyway.)
Pics later. (bizzee at the moment)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Here ya go. (Sorry for the crappy pic... I figured the profile is all that mattered, anyway)
1OjOOi.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Here you go, doc.
I like the pipe a lot, too. Bought it new from a B&M in Cincinnati in '84. I've always been a sucker for super-tight endgrain---what I think of as "granite" grain. Wood that is so finely grained it looks almost grainless until you get really close.
It's a medium-large piece (for BritWood, anyway), at 6" exactly and 51 grams. Smokes great and is super-comfortable. One of my all-time top 15 for sure.
-
ATflAX.jpg

RkCPa4.jpg

BCha64.jpg

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Angrycat, That is some sweeeeet birdseye!
Doctorbob, I like the shape of your Dunhill. It is fun and unique. I like that sort of thing. You should keep it.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Angrycat, that is a fantastic pipe! Lines are exquisite!
I agree with wyf, docbob.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
So I'll state the obvious: The grain on that dunhill is amazing.
I like the danish dog, too.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Very cool stuff.
A few years ago, I found this '63 Shape 552 and believe it was one of the experimental shapes. (sold because it was a filter pipe)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
(sold because it was a filter pipe)
Just make a drilled, slip-fit Delrin cylinder with matching end contour to occupy the unwanted airspace. Easy peasy. No need to dump the pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Just make a drilled, slip-fit Delrin cylinder with matching end contour to occupy the unwanted airspace. Easy peasy. No need to dump the pipe.
Ah, I was young and foolish, still checking the 35-49 age group box. I've since learned that a Savinelli filter adapter can be shaped to fit as well. (they are like $1)

Status
Not open for further replies.