PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Ok just now my wife was smoking my Stanwell pipe that my Grandfather left me. After she finished the pipe I had walked away to get something to drink, I heard a beating noise so I rushed into the room to seeing her trying to beat the stubble out. Upon me blowing up on her totally, I found a small hairline crack in the stem where she was beating it. It is very, very small so I Ran out to get some super glue. Will this work. Please help.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Oh man! That sucks! Just another reason not to let anyone use your stuff. I hope the glue works for you. If the crack is close to the stem, you could have a band put on it. If I were you, I'd keep a couple of cobs around for her.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
I told her that if she was going to pick up a hobby then she needed to read about it, understand it then do it. I have preached this to her so much, a person that just dives into a hobby without any research are a basic understanding of the do's and don'ts just pisses me off to no end. Sure she has smoked with me before, but she is starting to do things on her own now and has no idea of what she is doing. Man that really makes my blood boil to no end, I have told her and told her she needs to read first then act. But o no don't listen to the 20year pipe smoker trying to advise you. The crack is behind the bowl about 2 inches. The old colonel has a long stem and a short mouth piece. So I'm gonna try something.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
I'm sorry, it's in the stem I was typing like a mad man and my brain is spinning 1000 mph as of now

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Yeah she is into everything I do as a hobby, dirt bikes,snow skiing, scuba diving, gold prospecting, mt climbing, etc. but I have to do everything for her basically she just goes threw the motion. I wish she would learn the in's and out's instead of me having to prep for her.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Super glue will work, I have 3 or four pipes that had major cracks, didn"t want to spend the money on them so I said Why Not! They are still holding and smoking. Good luck to you.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Old Cajun I'm glad to read your post man, I'm going to let the pipe rest overnight and then I'm going to glue it, are should I try after it completely cools. I also was thinking would rtv work, that's the stuff one seals a intake manifold with the black color? It's springy and when dries is soft, was just a thought.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Use super glue, if it still smokes, load her up and smoke it enough to get warm or hot, use your pipe tool dump her out and cock it sideways and leak some down the crack, then make sure your skin won"t get stuck squeeze the shit out of it to minimize the crack, hold it for a couple of minutes, Viola you"re a pipe repairman.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Just finished the repair. I sanded the fracture a bit then I dropped a drop of super glue on the hairline fracture. I let dry then sanded the glue flush to the stem, applied a little beeswax and now it's complete fixed, you can not even see the once fracture a bit. I'm so proud and I really appreciate all the great help and the concern. Thanks guys

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
I might do that. But I hate to change such an original piece. I did several layers of super glue sanding after each application, and it seems to be very well repaired. Sure took a load off my shoulder. I was not too hard on her, she understands the sentimental value it holds and was just as upset are even more than I was.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A life partner is always a test of patience, because we live so close. In this case, I recommend gifting your

honey with one of those ten bags of Missouri Meerschaum corn cob seconds, and let her have at them.

Hereafter, keep the heirloom and high level pipes sequestered with your personal items. But also, teach her

her how to take tender care of the cobs, which are worthy pipes in their own right. If your wife gets to liking

pipes, and she buys her own briar, I foresee she'll take real good care of it. Something about handing over

that plastic or shuffling out those twenties that helps you see the fragility of a pipe.

mkelaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2012
Look on the bright side. She didn't put it in the dishwasher.

Status
Not open for further replies.