1924 Barling Motor Dome: To Smoke or not to Smoke it. That is the Question..

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, I recently acquired a 1924 Barling Motor Dome in quite excellent condition (it needs some minor silversmith work. Lucky for me I am a Goldsmith by hobby). If the gent I bought this from is on this forum, Thank you so much for this pipe!

I feel a sense of responsibility owning this pipe and preserving the past but I REALLY want to smoke it on occasion. I have the perfect antique Mercedes Roadster that would go perfectly with this pipe (LOL!).

Thoughts?

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Great piece! If it had been smoked already, I would not hesitate smoking it. If not, it is a harder question to answer. Probably I would also smoke it, but I would take my time to make that decision. I assume, you also drive the Mercedes - so why not treating the pipe in the same way?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It has been smoked. And i occasionally drive the little Roadster.
Then smoke away! I bought an unsmoked KB&B from 1912 and made the mistake of smoking it. The shank developed a two inch crack. Enjoy that beauty!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like the roadster, I'd use it lightly and enjoy it thoroughly in the process. As with fine violins, classic pipes probably benefit from some careful use.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's probably OK to smoke, but if you have any doubts, you can coat the chamber walls with a silicate mixture such as George Dibos uses, to add an insulating layer. These old pipes often have hidden issues, so it's a good idea to give the internals a thorough looking over with a flashlight. Ancient pipes that are unsmoked are better left unsmoked.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
If thats the one with a damaged hinge and grill,I was very tempted with it but was concerned with import customs adding 25% so held off.
Congratulations definitely smoke it

I have the same dilemma with this one,a 1890 pipe with Barling silver work

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: sandollars

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
you can Mike
175 GBP approx 215 USD
I plan to get to restored and as you say smoke it occasionally .I have other Barling's from 1906 and 1920 that get an outing every month
That's a nice snag! I smoke almost all of my ancient pipes. A few I can see are a bit fragile, so I enjoy them for the history. The rest are still going strong and there's one big ass 1906 French carved Barling that I smoke all the time because blends really come alive in that humongous old pipe.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
It's a beautiful pipe paulfg. I was following that auction as well and wasn't surprised it sold for the value it did. I think more than anything else in my meager collection I enjoy the old hallmarked English pipes. I do smoke them, often, but I think the best word of caution I can offer is to be very gentle when cleaning or restoring them. I think they require an extra degree of care, in particular when they have amber stems. I can only recommend the most gentle abrasion and chemically inert treatments.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Sorry for highjacking, but I recently ordered a NOS 70ies / 80ies pipe. It has not yet arrived, so I still have time to ask, if a pipe of that age also in danger of cracking? Or more of a general matter - how should one proceed with an old pipe, that has been untuched for a while to minimize the risk of cracking?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Reactions: sablebrush52
Status
Not open for further replies.