1902 Cutty with Amber Stem And Colored Meerschaum????

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Hi gang. I just got this delivered in the mail. I purchased it thinking it was a Dark Briar Cutty from 1902. While cleaning and examining it I confirmed its from 1902. Easy. But, upon closer examination I noticed a couple of scratches....typical for a 114 year old pipe, BUT the scratches revealed WHITE Meerschaum. I took some photos. I love the pipe and its completely in my wheelhouse because its 5 1/2 inches long and 24 grams. The silver cap is an added bonus. BTW, the white beneath the scratches is consistent in three places. I've never seen white briar. Tan yes, white no.
What do you smarter than me folks think....??

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Could it be that pressed Meer I've heard about? I remember someone saying that it behaves much differently than block.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Hmhaines, I don't think pressed meer was a thing back in 1902. But, I don't know for absolute certainty. All of the meer I own from that time had very hard meerschaum.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
That's a beauty!!

I think its an old pre-colored meer, "oxblood-stained"..........

here's an old thread about them.......... :puffy:

Pre- colored Meerschaum
Edit: After looking at yours more closely Ash, it DOES look like briar? And it has nails holding the cap on? Now I am confused............ I think its the very rare, exotic and elusive "White Briar"........... :puffy:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Beefeater, thanks for the link. It's definitely oxblood-stained.
The small nails are fine. I've seen those before on meerschaum pipes.
I've reached out to Condorlover for the answer too.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
That's a beauty!!

I think its an old pre-colored meer, "oxblood-stained"..........

I think you nailed it. I'm not the expert you're looking for in this area, and it's hard to tell without holding it ... but the physical appearance of this beautiful specimen is consistent with the ox blood stained meers I've seen over the years. Nice, nice pipe. :puffy:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Edit: After looking at yours more closely Ash, it DOES look like briar? And it has nails holding the cap on? Now I am confused............ I think its the very rare, exotic and elusive "White Briar"........... :puffy:
Been there, seen this.
Some nearly pure-white wood I've never been able to identify was commonly used in the late 19th / early 20th century for ornamented pipes.
Here's an example:
http://imgur.com/a/fZfpf
If anyone knows what it might be, please say so. (Extremely hard, medium weight, slightly waxy hand feel.)
PS -- the brownish areas/spots are not the wood, it's remaining stain. The wood itself is uniformly near-white.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Ornamented, meaning silver caps & etc, not ornamental as in a non-functional decorative set-down.
Here is the pipe as it came to me, as part of a set that had been glued to a display board (long story). Notice the gold cap and original color. Look familiar?
http://imgur.com/a/8DaNY
They had all been smoked.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Getting a better look at the image zoomed on the computer. On that bottom image, in the light spot at the bottom of the bowl ... woodgrain?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Ophiuchus, not wood grain, but you would have to hold it and see to know. It's definitely oxblood-stained.
Smokes just like a Meerschaum should. I just finished my third bowl in it. Third in a row I should say.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
I would guess a stained meer also. Nice find regardless. Great looking pipe!

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Yes, pressed meerschaum existed in 1902. It was known commonly as "chip," or as "Vienna meerschaum" (I think "chip meerschaum" was the more common term). As to what yours is, besides nice-looking, I can't say.

Jan 10, 2014
Are you sure this was manufactured in 1902? The silver hallmark is for Chester, England, and the H.T. is closest to Henry Thompson of London. However, the script "B" is closer to the mark for 1727 though 1902 is also a script capital B. This pipe may have been dyed. One method was to apply a paste made of aniline dyes of oxblood and Soudan brown that was burned in with an alcohol lamp. Carl Avery Werner, Tobaccoland (New York, 1922.)

Status
Not open for further replies.