PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjoe

Might Stick Around
Aug 14, 2014
Browsing the local sale ads I came across an old pipe cabinet at an estate sale that came nearly filled with pipes for $75. Since I only recently started smoking pipes and only have a couple, I figured for the price of a new inexpensive briar and a little elbow grease to clean them up it was a good deal and a fun winter project.
img_1157-600x450.jpg

The set contains:
Kaywoodie Standard, bulldog, 07C, Made in England

Kaywoodie Drinkless, Synchro Stem, small billiard 6729, Made in England

Dr Grabow Savoy, Prince

Monogram Filter Dry, billiard, 67

Monogram, small billiard

Yellow-Bole Standard, dublin, 9242
Denicotea Patent, apple with a silver band, 4

Medico Guardsman, billiard with a carburetor hole

"CIVIC" London Made, billard, 930, Made in England

Beldor SAINT-CLAUDE, 09½

Camden, billiard, 172

Canadian, marked Canadian, 296, Made in France

Jayne Original, saddle stem billiard, Made in Canada
D-Plumb Perfect Pipe, dublin, 168

no name, rusticated author

Medway DeLuxe, rusticated bulldog

Royal York, large billiard, Made in France

Orlando British Made, small bulldog, 006

no name, small apple
Most of the brands don't have much information out there on them. The Kaywoodie model numbers and 4 hole stingers point to the billiard being from the 30's and the bulldog might be from the 40's-50's. Looks like a lot of them are European and might fall into the same eras, I'm really curious about most of their histories.
All of them need at least a thorough cleaning and buffing up, a few were still half loaded with tobacco, most have very heavy cake, and they all smell like an old cellar. Some look like they were lit using a match by someone with really bad aim!
Looking forward to giving them a try! :puffpipe:

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Great score! At about $4 a pipe, plus the cabinet, you can't go wrong! Looks like you got some nice old briar there, and I'm sure you'll find some history on most of them.

Have fun cleaning them up, and smoking them. :puffy:

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
That's a good buy. There's no high grades, but I think you will have some good quality good smoking pipes.
Cake aside, the bowls and stems look very serviceable. You did good!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Where are the pics of the cabinet? That was probably worth what you paid.
I was looking at a collection of cobs on fleabay yesterday and had intended to attempt to win, but I forgot and went to bed. 50 pipes went for just over $100. There were some real beauties in there too!
Nice to see that you're serious about your rotation!

bigjoe

Might Stick Around
Aug 14, 2014
Thanks for improving the contrast darwin.
A couple of them have been abused, but most are just really well used. They all have a few dings here and there and most of them are pretty filthy but it shouldn't take too much to get them into smoking shape. I'll have to post a few pictures as I work through them.
The cabinet is really just a plain wood veneered box, luckily it has a similar finish to my cigar humidor so they'll probably end up on the same shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.