PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
https://m.ebay.ie/itm/LARGE-ANTIQUE-CARVED-MEERSCHAUM-PIPE-BOWL-STAG-AND-VILLAGE-SCENE/123778996085?hash=item1cd1cd9775:g:m0MAAOSwUV1c2JZj
Similar bowl and motifs, but the carvings are different.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
http://tobaccopipeartistory.blogspot.com/2014/06/norwegian-pipe-models-with-acanthus.html?m=1
Some info about the shape of the pipe? The author calls it "Norwegian style"

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
What reference I’ve found to “trade pipes” so far refers to clay rather than stone. If the pipe part of this dates back that far, I think that it would have belonged to someone more prosperous, who could afford something sturdier than those fragile clay pipes.

I like Greeneyes’ suggestion for Antiques Roadshow, but I’m in South Florida and they’re not coming anywhere near me this year.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
It’s the lost pipe of Olaf (Ole) Ewearenütson, first Norwegian to step foot on the shores of the English New World. Deported for stealing herring over the value of 21 shillings (a shitload of shad), he arrived in Philadelphia in April 1, 1723. Together with his wife, Lena, he set up a successful fencing operation on Walnut Street. To this day, he remains an honored symbol of the Norwegian peoples easy assimilation into the culture.
Although technically priceless, it last sold for a case of Gordon’s fish sticks to a real Tartar.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
It’s the lost pipe of Olaf (Ole) Ewearenütson, first Norwegian to step foot on the shores of the English New World. Deported for stealing herring over the value of 21 shillings (a shitload of shad), he arrived in Philadelphia in April 1, 1723. Together with his wife, Lena, he set up a successful fencing operation on Walnut Street. To this day, he remains an honored symbol of the Norwegian peoples easy assimilation into the culture.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Thank you, Elbert!

Both of those may be relevant.

BTW, I’ll do another pic looking down and perhaps one looking up. It’s not so slab sided as those English and Norwegian examples seem to be.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
From the top:
158b39ea-97b7-43d7-a627-e1b0f4a2eff2-378x600.jpg

From the bottom:
a6ef411a-c6a4-42ae-a53f-521f2caec6b1-396x600.jpg

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
As for Olaf Ewearsnuttin, (alternative spelling) , I think he actually had to flee the country after stripping in the royal court and mooning the king,

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Brother, you're all right by me. I really hope you get to the bottom of this.
Just a thought, but why dont you email some photos to the tobacco pipe artistory blog? They would know and I'm really hoping that's a historical pipe. That shape is like a ship's prow.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Yeah, I tend to think of the bottom of the pipe as the “keel.” No matter what, it’s a genuine “wotzit”, a curiousity and a minor mystery.
If we didn’t speculate, then we wouldn’t have any theories to be proven one way or another.
Meanwhile, we have fun and learn things!

Status
Not open for further replies.