PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I am awaiting receipt of a Meerschaum pipe with 1899 hallmarks. The coloring was one of the resons I purchased it and I was wondering could a Meer of this age have been pre-colored or should I believe that it has obtained it's color from years of smoking?
Also, are there any sanitary issues with smoking a meer that is this old? Other than cleaning the stem as I do my estate briars with pipe cleaners and Q151 rum, should I consider any further professional cleaning?
I purchased the pipe with the intention of smoking it, but would value some opinions, especially anyone who may have and smoke and old meerschaum. Thank You

Attachments

• 1899 Meer_Side.png
    1899 Meer_Side.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 1899 Meer_Top.png
    1899 Meer_Top.png
    137 KB · Views: 40
  • 1899 Meer_Bottom.png
    1899 Meer_Bottom.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 1899 Meer_Bowl.png
    1899 Meer_Bowl.png
    139.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 1899 Meer_Hallmark.png
    1899 Meer_Hallmark.png
    560.2 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: rmpeeps

stewartu

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2012
It’s beautiful. It doesn’t look precolored to me at all. I have had several precolored, turn of the century meerschaums and they are generally colored evenly across the entire pipe Making them a uniform ox blood red color. This one looks like a well loved example.
If you can clean the stem and shank without worry then simply ream (gently) the bowl to eliminate any cake and enjoy.
Can I ask what you paid?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I exclusively smoke old meerschaums. The only advice I can give you is that you should try to avoid taking the pipe apart. The amber/amber composite stems do not respond well to twisting etc and the meerschaum threads holding the bone tenion are also very sensitive. When cleaning the pipe use the soft model builder pipe cleaners since many an amber stem has bitten the dust due to someone trying to ram an oversize Dills Pipe Cleaner through the stem. Remember to scrape the chamber with an iron blade pocket knife to keep the carbon build up under control since caking can lead to bowl splits in extreme circumstances. As to the color that has come through smoking. Historically this was achieved by putting either a button or small silver coin at the bottom of the bowl, usually with a couple of holes drilled into it. This created a void similar to a coloring bowl where moisture and tars could collect to be absorbed by the meerschaum as it heated up through smoking. The modern equivalent would be to Philt Pads if you wish to continue the progress. Enjoy your new pipe. As an after thought did it come with a case?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Nice pipe.

I find this interesting because I have seen meerschaums in antique malls. Wasn't sure though in what was involved in cleaning.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
It’s beautiful. It doesn’t look precolored to me at all. I have had several precolored, turn of the century meerschaums and they are generally colored evenly across the entire pipe Making them a uniform ox blood red color. This one looks like a well loved example.
If you can clean the stem and shank without worry then simply ream (gently) the bowl to eliminate any cake and enjoy.
Can I ask what you paid?
Thank You. I paid $75 USD and it is a pipe from Great Britain.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I exclusively smoke old meerschaums. The only advice I can give you is that you should try to avoid taking the pipe apart. The amber/amber composite stems do not respond well to twisting etc and the meerschaum threads holding the bone tenion are also very sensitive. When cleaning the pipe use the soft model builder pipe cleaners since many an amber stem has bitten the dust due to someone trying to ram an oversize Dills Pipe Cleaner through the stem. Remember to scrape the chamber with an iron blade pocket knife to keep the carbon build up under control since caking can lead to bowl splits in extreme circumstances. As to the color that has come through smoking. Historically this was achieved by putting either a button or small silver coin at the bottom of the bowl, usually with a couple of holes drilled into it. This created a void similar to a coloring bowl where moisture and tars could collect to be absorbed by the meerschaum as it heated up through smoking. The modern equivalent would be to Philt Pads if you wish to continue the progress. Enjoy your new pipe. As an after thought did it come with a case?
Thank You for the explanation and the advice for cleaning. It came with a fitted case and the pipe was purchased from Great Britain. All my other meerschaums are new so I have only recently started looking at estate meerschaums. I now have three estates, but only two that I am cleaning to smoke. This one had such even coloring that I had to ask the question about pre-coloring. I did not know that was done in the past until I started reading about older meerschaums. All my new meerschaums I just wipe out the bowl with a damp cloth after it has cooled. I have not had to deal with a cake in a meershaum until I started to buy estates. So no fine grit sandpaper to work down the cake? Just use an iron blade knife or reamer? I assume modern pockets knifes or the bowl reamers they sell are too hard a metal for the meerschaum and I could damage the bowl?

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Looks pre-colored to me. Very handsome pipe! And Simon's observations regarding maintenance are spot on.

Thank You. Can you explain the process for pre-coloring a meerschaum or direct me to a reference? I have two Barling's meerschaums that are pre-colored, but neither one of those are smooth like this old meerschaum.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I use an Iron badged knife but thats because I inherited one from my Father but a modern pen knife with suffice. Hold the bowl in your hand and then use the knife as if you were whittling and avoid chatter in the bowl otherwise you will wind up with an uneven chamber. A modern reamer will also work but just be very gentle. Older meerschaums are not as soft as their modern counterparts. In my humble opinion the quality of the meerschaum is superior as its had a 100+ years to harden. I posted somewhere on here an example of the coloring you can expect from one of these old pipes and it is usually a deep brown color. My post showed one of mine time lined apart by a year but again I use Philt Pads and smoke heavy duty twist and plug so your mileage may vary. Regarding pre-coloring is was done with something called Ox Blood and resulted in a deep red/brown color. I think I have a picture of one on my blog but if not I can post a picture of an example when I get back to NYC since I am down in Florida with only a few pipes until the end of the month.

Reactions: mau1 and jpmcwjr

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
In my opinion, your pipe was colored through actual smoking. It's very pretty. I think you bought well. Yes, pre-coloring was done via vegetable dyes such as oxblood and dragon's blood. Naturally-colored pipes usually color the most in the shank and lower bowl, like yours; pre-colors are tinted all over, extremely evenly. Pictured below is a pre-colored pipe:

Aev5cGY.jpg

Reactions: oldguyoldpipes

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Just to show you how naturally meerschaum coloring happens here is a pipe that I have owned for years. The first picture was taken in 2016 and shows light coloring around the stem and bowl. The second picture was taken this morning and shows the effect of smoking the pipe as part of a rotation and how the stem and bowl have changed colors. Also note the effect of using a Philt Pad and several pounds of Plug tobacco which I believe is far more effective than a coloring bowl.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Just to show you how naturally meerschaum coloring happens here is a pipe that I have owned for years. The first picture was taken in 2016 and shows light coloring around the stem and bowl. The second picture was taken this morning and shows the effect of smoking the pipe as part of a rotation and how the stem and bowl have changed colors. Also note the effect of using a Philt Pad and several pounds of Plug tobacco which I believe is far more effective than a coloring bowl.

View attachment 6966View attachment 6967

Thank You. I will look into the Philt Pad and start to smoke my pipe weekly to continue the journey that the pipe has had for decades now.

Reactions: condorlover1

achtman

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2017
Thank You. Can you explain the process for pre-coloring a meerschaum or direct me to a reference? I have two Barling's meerschaums that are pre-colored, but neither one of those are smooth like this old meerschaum.
Hi, on old Meerschaums there was also an alternative in which the pipes were evenly coloured called Goudron. This is French for tar. Apparently the pipes were coated with an oil/tar mixture. They tend to be very evenly brown/red and glossy. Orlik made a number of them at the beginning of the 20th century but they were also made by others. I have such a pre-WWI cased Orlik Goudron which is currently being restored by Anthony Cook, because the silver sleeve has split.
Mark

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019

condorlover1: Well, I spent the better of two hours cleaning her up and everything was coming along fine, I was worried about possible mold being in the stem so I cleaned it gently, but repeatedly. Here is what I noticed and was wondering your opinion or experiences:

1) When I was cleaning the stem, it gave off a menthol smell. Not a bad odor, but definatly menthol. Like Vicks throat lozengers. Ever have this happen or know why?

2) I found a flat piece of cork between the stem and the pipe stem. Guessing it was a filler someone improvised or are they common?

3) The stem does not screw onto the stud anymore. I can see the threads in the stem, but the stem no longer screws on. It just slides over now. Is the amber so spft that regular pipe cleaners can wear down the threads cut into the stem? All I used to clean this area were soft pipe cleaners and standard q-tips.

4) Any recommendations for a pipe repair that specializes in old meerschaums?

5) Are there any mold concerns in these old meerschaums since the tobacco residue has been inside the stems for so long? If so, what is the process for getting rid of the mold other than high proof alcohol?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.