1881 Ox-Blood Stained Meerschaum (Pic Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Here's an 1881 Pipe that I grabbed. It was listed as Briar, but it's not briar. It's Ox-Blood Stained Meer. The pipe has Hallmarks of an Anchor (Birmingham) a Lion (England) and a small "g" (1881). I took the best pictures I could of the Hallmarks. The pipe is also marked with "J.A. MC". It has a military mount which is interesting and the stem appears to be a hardened kind of vulcanite. The stem fits perfectly in the case, but based on the age I don't know it its original.....so its time for rampant speculation. The assembled pipe is just over 5 inches long.
This pipe will be dedicated to S.G. Brown Pigtail X sweet.
After a good cleanup.....still had tobacco in the chamber and a ton of cake.....it smokes pretty damn good.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have created a monster with all these old pipe collectors floating around the forums! I thought it was just Weesel and myself involved in a meerschaum 'cutty' arms race and now we have and arsonist joining the ranks! :rofl:

aimus1

Lurker
Jun 6, 2015
Fantastic Pipe!
1881:
Dr John H Watson is introduced to Sherlock Holmes. Holmes & Watson begin "A Study in Scarlet", 1st case together.
Kansas becomes 1st state to prohibit all alcoholic beverages.
In Dodge City, Kansas, Bat Masterson fights his last gun battle.
1st international telephone conversation, Calais, ME-St Stephen, NB
And in my opinion, the most noteworthy....1st American fishing magazine, American Angler published. Maybe original owner enjoyed a bowl while reading the first issue of American Angler. Congrats and enjoy!

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
I am almost certain I saw that pipe on ebay. Would have come up during a "silver"pipe search but I don't think I even clicked on it. Just looked old to me Lol. And now I know why, had no idea it was that old. Nice score.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Are you supposed to let cake build up in a meer?
No. At least that is what I have been taught, along with clays, meers absorb heat (and moisture??) through the walls throughout the smoke provided they are kept reamed back...
Isaac

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
No. At least that is what I have been taught, along with clays, meers absorb heat (and moisture??) through the walls throughout the smoke provided they are kept reamed back...
+1. That's what I've always been taught

Status
Not open for further replies.