PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
While awaiting the completion of my newest Weaver pipe, I've been studying new tobaccos to try and possibly dedicate my newest addition to. Just ordered some 1792 Flake and Rich Dark Honeydew. I love Lakeland tobaccos, have never tried tonquin, but these two sounded very appealing. Any thoughts from those who have smoked them?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Mostly a Virginia, and Oriental smoker. Just discovered a Lakeland love last Spring.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
That and the fact that when I have been interested in trying 1792 it's usually out of stock. Not today though!

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
1792 is different this batch I swear, tastes like gingerbread. RDH is good, its less honeydew flavor than Glengary flake. It has a dry talcy honey flavor, it's quite tasty. My batch as dry from Mars it's probably much better fresh

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I like them both. RDH is one you need to dedicate a pipe to. It quite perfumey.
Also, best to not puff the RDH too fast...
I dedicated a gigantic morta billiard to it and the only other tobaccos I use in that pipe are Ennerdale, Bob's CF and occasionally some really mild burley.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
1792 is glorious weed. The tonquin is dominant and it may take you a little time to get used to it. Stick with it though. A word of warning, it's excessively strong and has a tendency to sneak up on you. Will ghost if you let it but it won't endure too long if the pipe rotates through blends.
Haven't tried Honeydew but would like to.
Have fun!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Sounds like I made some good choices. Now I just need to pick out which pipes to ghost with them. :puffy:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I have learned to love Lakelands, but 1792 was a bridge too far for me, the flavor was off putting and my wife said it smelled god-awful. I haven't tried Rich Dark Honeydew yet, but I've read good things about it, please post your reactions to both.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
I can never make up my mind whether I like 1792 or not, so have a tin every now and then. I prefer the flake to the plug though.
RDH is a regular. Not as sweet as the name implies but plenty of flavour.
I found that both are best smoked after a fair amount of drying i.e. not tinder dry and crumbly but still pliable.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Sounds like I made some good choices. Now I just need to pick out which pipes to ghost with them.
Truth is neither of these blends leave a ghost, maybe for 1 bowl after. Only Lakeland tobacco that really leaves a ghost is Ennerdale or Top Black Cherry in my opinion, and even those don't last. Ghosting is a myth unless you only smoke one blend everyday in a pipe

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Haha I hate deertongue, but that's not even tobacco. At least in my experience Lakelands don't really ghost

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Love Crooner, but anything else that gets smoked in my Crooner pipe gets a deertongue note.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Truth is neither of these blends leave a ghost, maybe for 1 bowl after. Only Lakeland tobacco that really leaves a ghost is Ennerdale or Top Black Cherry in my opinion, and even those don't last. Ghosting is a myth unless you only smoke one blend everyday in a pipe
This is total bullshit. Just because one person doesn't notice a ghost doesn't mean a ghost is not present. I smoked ennerdale one time in a pipe and still taste it a year later whenever I get down to the heel in that pipe. And many bowls have been smoked in effort to exercise that old goat. Semois has had the same impact. 1792 doesn't have the same initial punch though it has the potential.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
My batch of Rich Dark Honeydew was bone dry from Mars as well (they shouldn't be sending out tobacco that dry!) I don't get much flavor from it at all but it could be that my palate just doesn't pick up on a lot of the low notes this blend gives off or it's more likely due to loss of flavor from drying out on the shelf . 1792 however is an excellent blend! Love the stuff.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
1792 is wonderfully powerful but tastes somewhat like a recently exhumed, perfumed corpse.
I only smoke it on Jewish holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.