PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
16 years old sitting in History Class. A historical moment that I'll never forget. Spent the next few days just staring at the black and white TV watching the news and funeral. Can't believe it was that long ago.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yep, it seems as though the older you get the faster time flies by. Seems to me it should be the other way around. The mere though of having graduated high school 50 years ago still amazes me!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I was -20 years old. I think my "where were you" event will be 9/11.
Both of these events are unthinkable tragedies.

Some would say that the Kennedy assassination and its investigation reverberate in our consciousness as lamentable examples of the politics of power. A seed of distrust. A bruise on the pear. A worm in the apple.

I remember Mother Mary Arthur announcing the shooting over the intercom as a sophomore in H.S.

Just this summer I read King's novel with the title 11/22/63. It rekindled feelings approaching despair.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Title fixed. I was only 2 years old, so I have no memory of that one.

I do remember the funeral procession/event for Bobby Kennedy, one of my earliest memories.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I was in the 6th grade at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel school in Passaic, NJ. It was quite an emotional day. We stood, said a prayer and were dismissed at bit early. We spent a lot of time in the ensuing days watching TV in class. Camelot was over and we all grew up a bit after that.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
In school. Mark Lane's book "Warren Commission, Rush to Judgement" came out in 1966. I got around to reading it in 1970, it really opened my eyes and I have been on the quest ever since. I have lost track of how many books I now have in my personal collection, some were printed in the first few years and are virtually hard to find now. Been to Dealey Plaza several times & would agree with Hunter that it is hallowed ground, especially if you can visit in the off hours when traffic is light and all is quiet. You can almost hear the sounds from that day.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Heard the news about JFK half way through tenth grade biology class.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
My parents had been married for about 4 months at the time. My first memory of a "where were you when" event was Nixon's resignation...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Junior in high school, summoned back to "home room" and heard the President had been shot as I headed down the hall. I think that was about an hour before he was pronounced dead. The weekend was spent watching the funeral in black and white on TV.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I was -20 years old. I think my "where were you" event will be 9/11.
I wasn't born until February 22nd of 1985.
I agree, for us young whipper snappers the "Where were you?" questions is 9/11.

__________________________________________________________________________________
I remember 9/11 too well. I was on a construction site working on installing fire dampers in ceilings when my wife called and told me. Her exact words were "they bombed the fucking Pentagon!" This was a BIG multistory building site I was on and some people went home when they heard.

Mar 1, 2014
I guess the limitations of my familiarity with American culture have been reached.
http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/memorial-day
I'm honestly wondering if it is common for people to think of JFK on memorial day or if this is limited to specific individuals or cultures within the U.S.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I was in the Student Union of Central State College in Oklahoma and it came on the TV that the president had been shot. I was stunned. I didn't think it could happen in America in the twentieth century.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I was a junior in high school just north of Boston. JFK was our hero, I was shattered. I don't think I'll ever get over that day. You move on but it had changed things forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.