PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
We are talking about food, where are the photos?
This one cost me $7.22 in Tbilisi, Georgia. Unlimited free refill for the coffee.
2w3wjwD.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Love diners. As mentioned before, on a recent trip to Jersey I ate at Wawa, not a diner but a sort of gas station convenience store restaurant. Two breakfast sandwiches, two medium coffees, totalled less than $7. Hurrah for humane pricing, and the food's good, and the coffee is (to our tastes) better than Starbucks.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I love old diners/greasy spoons. In the late 60s my dad took me to a place in Muskegon MI that had 5cent coffee, and some great American food. The only problem was that it was downwind of their paper mill that stunk to high heaven!

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Greasy spoons serve the breakfasts we all want and deserve.
I like good coffee when I make it at home, but greasy spoon coffee? I don't know what they do to the pre-ground tub stuff they use, but it's my favorite kind. I've never been able to replicate it at home.
There's a bodega near me with counter seats and they make a better greasy spoon breakfast than anywhere else in the area. It's mostly a convenience store that folks use to buy lotto tickets and cigarettes, but that breakfast...

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
For some reason reading this thread reminded me of this scene from Hell or High Water:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFim0IPtmrM

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Long live the greasy spoon. The heck with the fancy brunches with champagne cocktails; give me eggs-over-easy and diner coffee instead anytime.
The A&T Pancake House and Grill operates on the extreme north end of Clark St. here in Chicago. The place oozes of old-world kitsch with booths around the perimeter and a counter in back by the kitchen. Two orders of corned beef hash with eggs and toast, two extra sides of bacon, two coffees and a huge plate of crepes in the $20 range; you can't find those prices anywhere else in this town. Big plates, huge helpings, eccentric wait staff ... it just doesn't get any better for Sunday morning.
Although I mostly don't miss smoking in restaurants, I do miss it at greasy spoons like this. Boy! I'd hate to admit how familiar I am to the scene of chain-smoking cigarettes with diner coffee and a hangover, waiting for those eggs ... :puffy:

Jun 4, 2014
We have a great diner in our town, its a family owned place now being run by the third generation. The have great breakfast, their home fries and SOS are fantastic. The make all the pies and cakes from scratch no premade crusts or cake mixes.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I am not really a diner fan, but not an enemy either.
However, on grease: people mistake fat for the devil. The real devil is an unbalanced meal. For example, too much sugar and other carbs... sort of like most of our food.
I love to cook and prefer it to restaurant food. I know my own margins. But, people need places like pubs/diners/kaffeehausen to just hang out.
And that is what we are here for: to hang out, to witness, to think, to develop. Anything else is just a symptom of the universe.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hey man ... in Romania you can't get a lousy coffee for under EUR 1.2-EUR 1.5. And the more west you go, the more expensive restaurants, pubs, coffee shops get.

Status
Not open for further replies.