PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I frequent a greasy spoon diner near my home. It’s in a rural setting. The two nearest towns have about 3500 people each. But the diner is always packed.
They charge .10 for a cup of coffee. Been charging that since 1952. This morning I had two eggs, home fries, toast and 3 cups of coffee. The bill with tax was $4.37. And they only charged me a dime for 3 cups.
When I visit my son in the D.C area, breakfast for myself, my son, wife, and 5 year old grand daughter is almost $50. And it’s not a greasy spoon breakfast either.
I know eggs are eggs. But there's something about that greasy spoon food that I enjoy.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I love country diners. Miss Blues in Hundred, WV is one of the best. Although, they don't have .10 coffee with free refills. That's a good deal.

.10 coffee, if there was anywhere that did that around here, and allowed smoking, they'd have to call the cops to get me to leave. My mom owned a diner that allowed smoking, but she totally closed it down a couple of years ago. She was just too old. But they had $1 coffee, which I thought was great. I still don't understand how fried bologna is a breakfast thing. My whole life in the South, and blech.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
When I was in college we hung out and smoked 24/7 drinking coffee at Perkins... greasy breakfast food, coffee, and Cigarettes. I think I lived a good four years on nothing else. Such good memories.... ah to be young and invincible.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Love that kind of food. Just got back from a diner to read this. lol. I will eat that food until the doctor says I can't. nom nom nom.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Got me wondering about the effects of grease. I am sure many PC parents don't let their kid eat anything that has grease on or with it. Shame. Grease is an important ingredient and I am sure our bodies need some.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I have one of those very near me that I love as well. Best breakfast in the world and dirt cheap. Run by a local fireman. Proof once again the profits the big chains are making.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Grew up on fried bologna. Grease...the other white meat.
My secret for keeping warm in winter is frying a piece of steak with chunks of fat still on it. Don't trim that luscious goodness off! The fat adds flavor and insulates the bloodstream. Ask an Eskimo.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like the diners were you can sit on a stool at the counter and watch the "breakfast cook" make any style of eggs perfectly. Most of those guys are real pros with an egg. You know the type: soda jerk hat cocked towards his brow, and the sleeve of his soiled tee shirt rolled over a pack of Lucky Strikes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Up until 1977, Philippe's - inventor of the French dip sandwich - kept their price on a cup of coffee at 5¢. Then the rot kicked in and they raised the price to 10¢. I haven't eaten there in many years, so I took a look to see what they are now charging for a cup of coffee. It's gone up to an outrageous 45¢! They should all be taken out and whipped!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
What's the name of the place, Frank? I'd love to do a search on it and find out more about it.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
My place does it by making most of their money through catering. The breakfasts are more of a community service.

Status
Not open for further replies.