PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebub24

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2019
When I first started out with pipe smoking, I was instructed to use my finger to tamp even when the bowl was lit. The reason why is when you start out, if you start with a tamper you are more likely to tamp too hard packing the tobacco way to tight and having to draw exceptionally hard which will cause you to smoke hot. With starting out by using your finger to tamp while smoking, you're able to tell if you're tamping too hard because you'll burn your finger slightly.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
My use of devices for tamping has ran from “official” tampers, large headed nails, golf tees, and my fingers and thumbs (thumbs in broad bowled pipes). Basically, I would use what was most convenient or handy.... so.... probably 80-90% of the time.... fingers.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My use of devices for tamping has ran from “official” tampers, large headed nails, golf tees, and my fingers and thumbs (thumbs in broad bowled pipes). Basically, I would use what was most convenient or handy.... so.... probably 80-90% of the time.... fingers.
I've got these. Some to match pipes, some just because. I more often than not use my finger.

Reactions: BROBS

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
i'll have to try using my finger tomorrow. my thumb and index finger are nicely roasted from holding bic upsidedown.

There's never a need to do that, even if you're lighting the bottom third of a bowl. Just hold the lighter horizontally and draw the flame into the chamber. Hold it high enough so you don't torch the tobacco or rim.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Status
Not open for further replies.