PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I like that we have a Holiday specifically set around the idea of gratitude. I know I don't practice gratitude as much as I should.

My family is generally wonderful, but sometimes these larger gatherings stress me the hell out. Since the doctor put my ass on a diet, I am pretty much limited to Turkey, green beans and salad this year. That's OK, I like those things. I'll miss the stuffing for sure, though. My mom made a cornbread-chorizo stuffing last year and it was killer. Mashed potatoes.. I could give or take. Always grab a spoonful, but won't be filled with sorrow over their absence.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Make sure this is on the menu:

The best thing Kevin ever posted. ?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Make sure this is on the menu:

The best thing Kevin ever posted. ?

Great idea! I was wondering how I could contribute my share of labor and end up with another thing I could actually eat, so I think I will make Brussels Sprouts. Not sure I'll have access to the oven, but I can more or less simulate it via sautee.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
We’re a bit early on the Thanksgiving wishes!, but what the hell, it’s a great sentiment. I too love that we have a national holiday about being grateful. Gratitude is a key pillar to happiness.

Publicly acknowledging my gratitude to all of you for making my life richer. Learning from you, hearing your opinions, stories banter etc... it really is a unique place and good place to hang out.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
And hope this provides a bit of amusement. Thank you, The New Yorker!

My wife if great and I love her. She tolerates my pipe smoking and beer drinking, just bought me an advent calendar that has different scotch whisky for every day of advent (!!!), but has decided that she wants to be a vegetarian unless/until I can raise and kill the animals myself. She is German and doesn't understand or connect to the idea of eating turkey on Thanksgiving (or even what Thanksgiving is). Ugh. Think I'll still cook a turkey for my sons and me but I'll need to come up with a vegetarian dish too. Somehow eggplant Parmesan just doesn't scream "Thanksgiving" but I refuse to consider making one of those tofurkey abominations.

I agree that roasted brussel sprouts are very good. I like to serve them with cranberries that I cook on the stovetop with maple syrup and ginger. It tastes nice and the green and red is suitable for the start of Christmas time.

Anyone know where small farms are affordable? Looks like I'll be needing to raise my own hogs and chickens soon.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
My wife if great and I love her. She tolerates my pipe smoking and beer drinking, just bought me an advent calendar that has different scotch whisky for every day of advent (!!!), but has decided that she wants to be a vegetarian unless/until I can raise and kill the animals myself. She is German and doesn't understand or connect to the idea of eating turkey on Thanksgiving (or even what Thanksgiving is). Ugh. Think I'll still cook a turkey for my sons and me but I'll need to come up with a vegetarian dish too. Somehow eggplant Parmesan just doesn't scream "Thanksgiving" but I refuse to consider making one of those tofurkey abominations.

I agree that roasted brussel sprouts are very good. I like to serve them with cranberries that I cook on the stovetop with maple syrup and ginger. It tastes nice and the green and red is suitable for the start of Christmas time.

Anyone know where small farms are affordable? Looks like I'll be needing to raise my own hogs and chickens soon.

There are a lot of wonderful vegetarian and vegan foods, but in my experience, they're much better when they drop the pretense of being a meat substitute, and just showcase the variety of flavors available from plant-based ingredients.

As for cheap farms, maybe Mexico?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
There are a lot of wonderful vegetarian and vegan foods, but in my experience, they're much better when they drop the pretense of being a meat substitute, and just showcase the variety of flavors available from plant-based ingredients.

That is so true. I have to chuckle every time I see the little section in the grocery store with all of the vegetarian burgers, hot dogs, breakfast sausages, etc.

If I was not a meat eater, the last thing I'd want is any of that stuff. It would all just make me want the real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.