PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
For me, it means the Lat. is over the top. Too much. I've had only one such "bomb", so it's hard to find any firecrackers, much less bombs.

This is more or less my definition. Basically, when the Latakia drowns out the other tobaccos, and is the primary or only component I can taste. One example for me is Ten Russians, which a lot of people love, but I find a bit boring. Many people consider Latakia Bomb to be a compliment though, and seek them out. Nothing at all wrong with that, but I generally prefer a medium Latakia blend.

Reactions: oldtoby

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
This is more or less my definition. Basically, when the Latakia drowns out the other tobaccos, and is the primary or only component I can taste. One example for me is Ten Russians, which a lot of people love, but I find a bit boring. Many people consider Latakia Bomb to be a compliment though, and seek them out. Nothing at all wrong with that, but I generally prefer a medium Latakia blend.
Yeah, Ten Russians is a pretty boring, one dimensional smoke for me. Another that comes to mind is GLP Oddysey.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Forgive me, but I have a warped sense of humor and it dawned on me the word "bomb" has been used about 24 times in this thread. I flashed on some poor NSA guy who freaked over it tripping red flags and is now trying to figure out what the hell Latakia is.

Mar 1, 2014
Any blend that primarily smells like a campfire.
The Lat Bomb is one of the greatest human experiences, like the first time you eat fresh cotton candy and it reminds you of the carnival, only it's the equivalent of that for campfires.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
The only latakia blend that I enjoy is Russ's Match Presbyterian, with only a whisper of Lat, per the description. I consider latakia like garlic. A little bit goes a long way. Too much ruins the blend. Obviously everyone has their own opinions.

Last month I found a jar of a heavy English blend, from 10 years ago, in my stash. This was one of my first blends when I picked up the pipe. Since I won't enjoy it, I gave it to a friend at my pipe club. He really enjoyed it.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Is latakia the ingredient with the most nicotine content? I'm wondering if that's why these blends are so favoured by some. I'm also wondering because of that G. L. Pease blend's name –Quiet Nights– seems to me like a blend to cap the night with its period of leisure and relaxation (lol), and I wonder how strong it is (I've never tried it, and I don't think I ever will) and if such strength is related to the latakia. Maybe people like this smokey ingredient for more than just the taste. ?

Actually, Latakia is very low in nicotine content as are most Oriental leaves. Burley and Virginia tobaccos contain the most nicotine. And a fun fact that Russ Ouellette surprised me with a few years ago; nicotine is not found in the tobacco leaves, but rather the stems and veins.

Thanks for all the replies and for those few of you who described what the term means to you.

As I suspected; this is a very polarizing tobacco and the sampling who have responded so far either have an affinity or aversion to the stuff. No one has said "I can take it or leave it".

Personally, right now I really like the stuff. I just don't know how much yet but I will keep playing with it.

P.S. I ordered some Pirate Kake since it was the clear winner so far, for being the poster child for Lat Bomb.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Actually, Latakia is very low in nicotine content as are most Oriental leaves. Burley and Virginia tobaccos contain the most nicotine. And a fun fact that Russ Ouellette surprised me with a few years ago; nicotine is not found in the tobacco leaves, but rather the stems and veins.
OK, I am officially gobsmacked. But a reluctant believer.

Reactions: sandollars

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
No one has said "I can take it or leave it".
I can, actually. Whilst I'm a dedicated and furious aromatic smoker, I still have a few latakia-containing blends in my 'cellar'—EMP, Nightcap, Vintage Syrian, Frog Morton, El Niño, SG Navy Flake, HGL, Sam's Blend, and probably another one or two whose names now escape me. I even have one of the royal jewels of aromatics: Sillem's Schwarz, which has latakia.

Nope, I don't dislike latakia, unless it's there in large amounts. Everything in moderation, as they say.

They also say, you want some condiment in your food, not some food in your condiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.