PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
LATAKIA BOMB.

LAT BOMB.

"I LOVE THAT BLEND. IT'S A LATAKIA BOMB."

"THAT BLEND IS DISGUSTING. IT'S A LAT BOMB!"

I hear this term get bandied about in many different contexts and my inferences are different depending on the context in the instance in which it was discussed. This only adds to my confusion so I thought I would turn to the group for their input.

I have smoked several tobaccos with less than 50% Latakia and several that were over. In fact, I have smoked straight Latakia to get "a taste" of it in order to identify it in blends.

I have done this with several blending tobaccos and my palate is developing where I can pick many of them out in individual blends.

What I don't understand is the Latakia Bomb Reference? Yes, it tickles my nose and is often tingly on my tongue and most certainly has a distinct aroma, tin note, and taste, but a Bomb? Am I missing something?

This Latakia Bomb experience seems to be very polarizing in that some love it, others very much not. Logic dictates that I must be in the former camp since I don't repel from it, but I still would like to know:

What does Latakia Bomb mean to you?.

I apologize for the obvious display of ignorance but I have been everywhere: Search Engine, Google, Youtube, Other sites, etc.
With the exception of the phrase being used by everyone to describe blends with more than 50% Latakia, NO ONE in my research has defined what is meant by it which leads me to conclude that maybe it means different things to different people.

Your thoughts or comments are appreciated.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Much as I like Latakia, I've not experienced what I might define as a "Latakia Bomb." I'm guessing it is a purely subjective term some use when not inured to Latakia. Surely, as there is no "governing body" handling smoking definitions, it is be a roughly used term with little or no meaning except to one using it. When someone writes they experienced a "Latakia bomb" we each must make up our own picture.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Purely subjective, as everyone has their own tastes and tolerances. And the blend itself dictates that perception.

The percentage of Latakia in the blend isn’t the defining factor either. As an example, Sillem’s Commodore supposedly has 75% Latakia in the mix, however it’s not overwhelming to me.

About 30 years ago, when I became a more or less regular pipe smoker, I mostly smoked house blend Aros from a local shop. I asked the guy behind the counter one time what he would suggest as far as a non aro.

I got a Latakia/Oriental blend that tasted like armpit... it reminded me of a putrid tobacco a roommate of mine smoked 40 years ago.

To me, “Lat-Bomb” is a somewhat meaningless moniker.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
At least for smokers of my generation, I'd say Dunhill Nightcap was the origin point of the Latikia pipeline. Nightcap was the original lat bomb against which all others may be measured. Off course many blends have gone beyond Nightcap in terms of pure latikia power. Even still, everyone remembers their first Nightcap tin they way they do their first beer.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Nightcap is my "threshold" for Latakia. I really enjoy it every now and then but it's not an everyday smoke for me. It's great after dinner. (I'm the same way with peaty Scotch.)

Anything more Latakia than Nightcap is a bomb and probably not something I would want even on occasion.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
At least for smokers of my generation, I'd say Dunhill Nightcap was the origin point of the Latikia pipeline. Nightcap was the original lat bomb against which all others may be measured. Off course many blends have gone beyond Nightcap in terms of pure latikia power. Even still, everyone remembers their first Nightcap tin they way they do their first beer.
Hmm, I actually don't remember my first beer. All I remember is that I was still in my 1-digit decade when I had it.

If Nightcap is the index for latakia boms, I'm not sure I wanna try anything with more latakia in it.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I would think that the term "Latakia bomb" would be pretty much self explanatory. Simply a tongue in cheek expression to let someone know that when you smoke it, you'll get a full blast of the Latakia taste in the blend. Sort of like saying that a cinnamon Jolly Rancher jaw breaker is a cinnamon bomb. The expression pretty much explains the taste one will get once they commence to suckin' on one.

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
To my palette G.L. Pease "Gaslight" qualifies for the term latakia bomb. Your mileage may vary though.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
To my palette G.L. Pease "Gaslight" qualifies for the term latakia bomb. Your mileage may vary though.

I love me some Gaslight!

To me, and of course this is subjective, in Gaslight you can definitely taste the latakia, but it balances with its orientals and Va into one complex and scrumptious ‘umami’ with the occasional hint of citrus and some sweetness. Because it’s so balanced I don’t think of it in terms of ‘overpowering latakia blend’. Again, just my palate.

It’s been so long since I’ve had Nightcap that I can’t speak to it, though thinking back it falls a bit short of ‘lat bomb’ (in my book) as well.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
I lean toward dark fired and burley blends, so anything 50% or more Latakia is a “bomb” to me. In that vein, I enjoy the occasional bowl of Pirate Kake or Star of the East flake, which is right at 50%.

Reactions: diamondback

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Is latakia the ingredient with the most nicotine content? I'm wondering if that's why these blends are so favoured by some. I'm also wondering because of that G. L. Pease blend's name –Quiet Nights– seems to me like a blend to cap the night with its period of leisure and relaxation (lol), and I wonder how strong it is (I've never tried it, and I don't think I ever will) and if such strength is related to the latakia. Maybe people like this smokey ingredient for more than just the taste. ?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My mileage is that GL puts me on my tail, and not because of the Latakia.

Also, I was just in Iwan Ries, and the salesman showed me a tobacco he said had more Lat. than Pirate Cake. With a K. Cant' remember the name, and had no interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.