PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I don't have a picture of my white lacquered big ben phantom billiard with the bright red stem, but here's my nording 1985. Sure it's gaudy, but it's an interesting piece and smokes great. Most of my pipes have black stems, but why not mix it up?

Reactions: scloyd

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Some of the overly bright colorful stems don’t suit me either, particularly solid colored ones. Having said that, I just started appreciating Ashton’s and some of their brindled stems are gorgeously executed. You wouldn’t think lime green swirl would work on a traditional stummel, yet somehow it does. It’s all subjective, though... I happen to love yellow stems and some people hate them. Whatever floats your goat.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many, maybe too many, of my stems are black, right down the rack, and it is certainly a safe choice. A few are amber or tortoise shell color, or beige, still an entirely safe choice in most cases. I do like my orange swirl Forever stem on one of my cobs. I have a Sav Prince of Wales (prince shape) with a long swirled stem. I'm glad my pipe stems are not entirely black. Color adds a little energy to the rows of pipes, not mandatory but certainly less inhibited looking. It's totally personal taste, so this is mine.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I do not understand the aesthetic value of pairing a bright swirly dayglo purple acrylic stem with a beautifully carved briar bowl. It is similar to putting lipstick on a warthog. Someone change my mind since so many pipe are now sporting acrylic stems in every shade of nail polish.

There are certain pipes that aesthetics practically demand the stem be black without question. But, to me, the practice of pipe smoking as a whole would be rather dreary and less enjoyable if all stems were black. Color, while not necessarily for everyone, helps to break the doldrums of pipe smoking. And, as hoosier rightfully pointed out, sometimes a person wants something unique.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Love to see more pictures of pipes with colored stems that are attractive.

And maybe a grotesque example or two.

How to place a photo in a post:
If it's on your computer, you drag it into the image box (see below) after opening the dialogue box. If you want to LINK* to an image, click on the link button and paste the URL into the box that opens. The symbol to LINK is the right hand symbol on the upper left of the box. (Looks like a tilted infinity sign.)

No need to resize, as the server will do that for you. Choose full size image, not thumbnail.

* Photos from many—even most—websites can be displayed by copying the image's URL, usually by Control-clicking onna Mac; or right-clicking on Windows, selecting the URL (often stated as "Copy Image Location" or similar words), then copy/paste that into the window.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I like multicolored stems, but then again I am not a traditionalist when it comes to pipes. I almost alway hate straight billard because to me they are the most bland pipe out there. Here are a few examples of pipes that make my PAD kick into overdrive.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Is the 1st pipe, the Alden, ebonite or hard rubber?
I'm not sure to be honest, I was just saying I like muti colored stems in general. I know the eldritch pipe is definitely acrylic. He also cast and sells arylic blanks for pens, pipe stems and what not.

Reactions: aquadoc

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I don't have any, but I'd like too. Sell me your ugly bright colored acrylic stemmed pipes. I'd imagine the 2nd hand market drops some on them, but I'd like a Broncos colored stem and a deeper purple. Maybe one of those bright green bakelite. Then again all my smoking is at home, so I don't care what anyone else thinks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For some reason I'm a big sucker for the Cumberland look, in my case mostly acrylic faux Cumberland, and very reserved, but there's just something about that little subdued pattern in an essentially dark stem that really lights my pipe.

Reactions: mtwaller
Status
Not open for further replies.