Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Smoked this last night in my new DWF (Doug Finlay) Pipe:

48759456508_f59216229a_h.jpg

48759457088_99f6571de9_h.jpg

A 10x loupe showed very nice crystals. Here's my low quality macro-photography skills:

48759778071_860ebdfc7f_h.jpg

Maybe someday I'll buy a proper macro lens instead of just using a reversing ring.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
When a package of dried apricots did the same thing for me, I became 90% convinced that these bloom crystals are formed as casing solutions and natural oils, salts and sugars precipitate from the pressed tobacco as it slowly dehydrates under controlled conditions.

Thus, the compounds were always in the tobacco blend at a constant concentration but aggregation into crystals likely affects the way it tastes when smoked.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
So, what's the word on taste? How did it differ from the non-crystalized smoke?

This is the first time I've had SJF so I don't have point to compare to. I will admit I put the flake directly to my tongue before breaking it up. It didn't taste sugary or sweet. It just had a mild, pleasant tobacco flavor.

This seems to be consistent with the smoke. The tin note was plum and raisin through the roof but it was rather mild in the smoke with the Virginia/tobacco flavor leading the show. In fact, over puffing made the plum/raisin almost disappear altogether. There was a very consistent sweetness that was more there upon reflection and was not an in-your-face kind of sweetness. It was almost not noticeable and was certainly not sugary in any way. Just pleasant.

If I compare it to the only other VaPer I'm really familiar with, Dunhill Dark Flake, I would say this is probably a better smoke. The dunhill seems to rely more on the perique, which is okay and why I like it so much, but this seems smoother, more well-rounded, and more complex, albeit sipping is required for this to be noticeable. The fact that slow sipping and concentration is required of the SJF is a big plus in my book. It seemed to make for a more relaxing, contemplative, and overall enjoyable smoke.

I must admit, though, I don't know if I can directly attribute the above to the SJF directly or the age.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Do you get a fermented alcohol flavor through the smoke? Like a dark beer?

I had a 10 yr old tin of Opening Night with crystals, and the smell was light fermentation and the taste came through the smoke, in my opinion. Similar to McClelland, but not as in your face.

Those flakes sure do look delicious!

Jun 23, 2019
Smoked this last night in my new DWF (Doug Finlay) Pipe:

48759456508_f59216229a_h.jpg

48759457088_99f6571de9_h.jpg

A 10x loupe showed very nice crystals. Here's my low quality macro-photography skills:

48759778071_860ebdfc7f_h.jpg

Maybe someday I'll buy a proper macro lens instead of just using a reversing ring.

Gorgeous. May I ask how long you've aged this St James Flake? Under what conditions? (TIA)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think it was Greg Pease who reported that the crystalline stuff did not dissolve in water, hence it was not sugar but perhaps oil or resins.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Do you get a fermented alcohol flavor through the smoke? Like a dark beer?

I had a 10 yr old tin of Opening Night with crystals, and the smell was light fermentation and the taste came through the smoke, in my opinion. Similar to McClelland, but not as in your face.

Those flakes sure do look delicious!

I would say there was a creaminess in the background but after reading your question and reflecting on it, maltiness might be a better description so yes, a dark beer or, more so, a proper English beer (like Old Speckled Hen) was lurking in the background. But just slightly.

Gorgeous. May I ask how long you've aged this St James Flake? Under what conditions? (TIA)

Aged in the tin. I don't know how long it has been aged as I bought it from a member here and conversations from before the site change no longer go back more than 2 posts and I can't retrieve the information.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I love seeing crystals on aged tobacco. I'm sure it smoked great as you mention. Mellow and deeper in flavor.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I have some SG 1792 with bloom on it that I bought around 2005, I reckon. I smoked some earlier this year, after not having any for a few years. I couldn't say how different it was from the fresh stuff, as the room was spinning pretty hard.

Last edited:

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Seldom, that's a seriously fascinating thread. It was news to me. Thanks for sharing. I used a 10X loupe to look at my 1792 but need to take a better look. Maybe that was why the room was spinning.

Status
Not open for further replies.